Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Stand for Exam.....ergh...

In training class we have been working on stand for exam. The trainer told us to have a treat in our hands, hold it so the dog has to work to get it, and tell them to "stand"--rewarding them with praise and then the treat when they do so.

Jack is having a bit of trouble with this. He will actually stand, but I'm not sure if he's actually understanding that this is what he is supposed to do because he is SOOO excited about the treat right in front of his nose. He is *extremely* food motivated. So much so that we feed right before class and use Sally's kibbles instead of actual treats to bring the insanity down a notch.

He also does not stand still. Be cause the treat is so exciting, he wags like crazy, causing his back end to sort of migrate. He is wiggling so much that nobody could actually examine him if he were standing with a treat in front of him and if he didn't have the treat to distract him he would be ubber excited just that someone was touching him. I'm happy that he loves people so much but this makes teaching him to stand still for exam very challenging.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to teach this????

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I don't get why you are holding food in front of the dogs face and the trainer expecting them to be still? Cider was taught SFE for rally, it's a cue she did quite happily, the holding the stay while someone approached her was our issue. Smudge was taught stand for conformation, and it doesn't really have a cue but he remembers it. Neither got food till after they had held the stand position for a second. Holding food in front of the dogs face sounds either like too much luring, or too much temptation for dogs that don't understand the behaviour?

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

One way that I like to teach stand is to stand with my dog in heel position with him between me and a wall to keep him in position. Then to get him to stand up, I move back, and when he stands up to follow me I click/treat. I try to click as he's moving into the stand position, so that he really understands that the movement is what's getting the click. Once he's consistently standing when I move backwards, I start to add the cue, and when he will do it with only the verbal cue and no movement on my part, I start to add duration.

I like this method better because it usually keeps their front feet in position while they stand up, whereas the luring method usually makes the dogs want to step forward.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

I had a TERRIBLE time learning this for Rally- we had one of the worst stands ever- I would hope it wasn't on the course the first few times we competed. Then one of my classmates taught me a way that worked very quickly for me and my girl- Minnie.
If your dog will target your hand- you can hold your right hand (flat) right in front of his face (make sure it is oriented to make him straight- ie you will have to reach to your left a bit, and slightly down- so it will encourage him to stand) and see if he will stand just to target your hand- .............reward if he does, and work up to adding in the stay.
My dog was learning this before we knew targeting- so I was taught to lure her with food held in the fingers- it didnt work AT ALL for us- she would just scoot forward on her butt!! My friend told me to hold my hand FLAT with a piece of food wedged between the fingers close to the palm, and lure this way, if you are going to lure- it worked very quickly for us. i use my right hand for stand, and left for stay

I am still teaching my second dog- he stands nicely- but wont stay, he wriggles around etc.- same as yours, so we are working on that- he is part hound - so he's a little slower- Minnie is an ACD- she is quicker.
PS
just for fun- just now- I just tried the standing against the wall and stepping back- I think my boy could learn that way- he does get up as I step back, then just add the stay
Minnie- - she is too fast - whips around her whole body faster than I can even take a 1/2 step back.........every dog is different- have to try which is best for each one
Old 11-15-2008, 09:23 PM
RedyreRottweilers

We start with the SIT for exam. I work the sit for exam until the dog is steady being examined.

Meanwhile, while the dog is learning the sit for exam, I work on teaching the dog stand from heel. To do this, I put my right hand with my thumb though the collar on the dog's chest to prevent him moving forward. With my left hand, I gently tickle the dog's flank, or physically help him into a standing position, as I say the word stand. As the dog learns to stand on the voice command, I fade the left and right hand help, and return to a standing position.

This method results in a dog that stands for the Stand For Exam like this:

STAND FOR EXAM