Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 PM
just call me Nilly

Default Portuguese Water Dogs

Anyone have significant first hand experience with them? Any information to share?

I think they're really neat dogs, but the few I've met have been bouncy messes. I'd like to think there are nice ones out there, and I just haven't experienced it yet.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Lab Love

I have two at my daycare. They can be great dogs if you train them.. I don't have any actual info about them however just my experience with only two pwds.

First.. the bad one.
He is seriously one of the most annoying dogs we have at the daycare. He barks constantly, and being a water dog he *loves* getting squirted with the water bottle, and will bark at you to spray him more. He'll bite your hands, he jumps all over the customers in the store when he comes in, and again.... the barking. He's just plain unruly.

The second is owned by one of the trainers that work at the store..
He's awesome. He really shows what a dog can become if you put effort into them. He is the exact opposite of the other. Except sometimes he eats poop. LOL

One thing is that since they are bearded breeds.. when they drink water they'll come over and wipe their wet beards allll over you.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Top Dog

I have dried one for a handler, he barked and whined and cried and acted like I was murding him. You would think it was becuse of the dryer, right? No. It was because the owner walked away... omg.

I would love to meet a nice one.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Top Dog

We have one in the local agility club who is a terror. Insane barking, directly at the owner. I don't know enough of the breed to judge how much is handling and how much is the breed, but it turns me off from the breed.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 AM
RedyreRottweilers

This is one of my FAVORITE coated breeds. Very intelligent, willing to work, great outgoing temperaments.

If not for the hair I would have had one of these long ago.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Aging Canine Advocate

there are a lot of these in my agility club... great agility dogs!
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Lord Cynical

I've worked with a few, when I worked for handlers - barkiest, bounciest, in-you-faciest sporting dogs I've ever worked with. I liked them because they were big jerks, but I could see them being "a bit much" for the average per owner.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 AM
just call me Nilly

So it seems the few I've met have been more like the common temperment, not a badly trained exception.

I like a lot of things about them, but definitely don't think I could handle one.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Consider that the dog was originally used to herd fish. There's gotta be a level of insanity in that job.

PWDs can be great sport dogs, but I wouldn't suggest them as a pet. I'm inclined to think they have one thing in common with malinois -- a missing off switch.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm All Ears

I love the ones I know- a family friend has two. I would never want one. Well, the coat for one, but they're a bit in your face like most sporting dogs and they're very active. The people that love them though.... there are few other breeds whose owners seem to be so enthusiastic about them.