Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Merles can have brown or blue eyes, even amber depending on the color of merle (like red merle). It just depends on where the merle affects the color, really.

If a dog is black with blue eyes, he could be merle or not. Borders come in merle, but blacks often have blue eyes too. They have brown more often, but blue happens. In shelties, that isn't allowed, so the only dogs you really see with blue eyes are merles. You can probably find more basic information on the color in breeds where it's the norm. Another interesting read is danes and harlequin and merle. It gets even more complicated, lol!
Ok, thats what I thought, but was not sure. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
The link jess posted about cyptic merles answered my question about brown eyes being on a merle dog. I am guessing that cryptic merle is the same as hidden merle.

This is Pebbles dad. He is a 4 pound chihuahua. His eye on white is blue while his eye on black is brown. Obviously something has diluted his right eye, does that mean he is a hidden merle? You can also see white or gray coloring on his face. Doesnt look merle to me but its just something I noticed.

I've ALWAYS wondered if he was a hidden merle or not.

Any opinions??

He could be. I would bet not. It's not uncommon for dogs with white around their eyes to have blue eyes either, regardless of whether they are merle or not. Did he have any merle pups? That's a usual teller.

If you look here, there are some non-merles with one or two blue eyes.

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museu...rEyeColor.html
Old 11-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
I know this site is about aussies but Im assuming it can mean the same for any breed (its a really neat site about colors and I love looking at it but anyhoo lol
Thats the problem. I've been looking for info on merle chis... not merle aussies. And it seems like there is MUCH MORE info on merle aussies. lol.

Blue eyes is a serious fault in the chihuahua breed standard, and thats part of the reason why I thought that blue eyes would probably mean the dog is a merle.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
He could be. I would bet not. It's not uncommon for dogs with white around their eyes to have blue eyes either, regardless of whether they are merle or not. Did he have any merle pups? That's a usual teller.

If you look here, there are some non-merles with one or two blue eyes.

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museu...rEyeColor.html
In pebbles litter there were no merles. Her mom was black and tan. Half of the litter was chocolate and half was black.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Thats the problem. I've been looking for info on merle chis... not merle aussies. And it seems like there is MUCH MORE info on merle aussies. lol.

Blue eyes is a serious fault in the chihuahua breed standard, and thats part of the reason why I thought that blue eyes would probably mean the dog is a merle.
Merle works the same in every breed though. Even in breeds where blue eyes are a fault they happen. I would think if it were that uncommon it would be a DQ, not a fault. It could mean merle, but it could just be a random thing because of the white on that side of the face.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Merle works the same in every breed though. Even in breeds where blue eyes are a fault they happen. I would think if it were that uncommon it would be a DQ, not a fault. It could mean merle, but it could just be a random thing because of the white on that side of the face.
Ok, thats probably the case. I dont understand why blue eyes is a serious fault, but yet blue merle dogs are accepted. I would think a blue merle with blue eyes would be disqualified in the show ring, but they are not as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong....
Old 11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
woof!

Quote:
Ok, thats probably the case. I dont understand why blue eyes is a serious fault, but yet blue merle dogs are accepted. I would think a blue merle with blue eyes would be disqualified in the show ring, but they are not as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong....
Well in the FCI standar the only thing I could find is

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCI standar
Eyes : Large, roundish in shape, very expressive, not protruding, perfectly dark. Light eyes permissible, but not desired.
the AKC has this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC standar
Eyes - Full, round, but not protruding, balanced, set well apart-luminous dark or luminous ruby. Light eyes in blond or white-colored dogs permissible. Blue eyes or a difference in the color of the iris in the two eyes, or two different colors within one iris should be considered a serious fault.
So they are faults but not DQ
Old 11-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
From reading the standard for chihuahuas, it seems blue eyes period are a fault, not a DQ, no matter the color. It doesn't say anything about merle when talking about eye color.

For example, eyes in shelties (sorry to use this breed all the time, but it's a breed I'm much more familiar with):

Quote:
Eyes medium size with dark, almond-shaped rims, set somewhat obliquely in skull. Color must be dark, with blue or merle eyes permissible in blue merles only. Faults-- Light, round, large or too small. Prominent haws.
Merle is confusing though. This dog is actually merle too, but as an adult it's almost impossible to tell. It's easy to see how some people not so educated on the color could cross to a seemingly 'normal' dog and end up with double merles.

He is stunning, imo.

Last edited by Laurelin; 11-01-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
From reading the standard for chihuahuas, it seems blue eyes period are a fault, not a DQ, no matter the color. It doesn't say anything about merle when talking about eye color.

For example, eyes in shelties (sorry to use this breed all the time, but it's a breed I'm much more familiar with):

Merle is confusing though. This dog is actually merle too, but as an adult it's almost impossible to tell. It's easy to see how some people not so educated on the color could cross to a seemingly 'normal' dog and end up with double merles.

He is stunning, imo.
He doesn't look merle at all! I can definitely see how those accidents can happen. Its scary. Gorgeous dog.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Taxiderpy

Here is my cousin's merle chi, Roxy, and her brother Moto. Roxy has two brown eyes.

I am in love with Roxy's temperament. She is so fabulous and laid back, confident, and marvelous with children and other dogs. Before I met her I had no idea it was possible for a chi to be like that. And her brother Moto is awesome too. Instead of laid back, he has a 'tude, but it's a good 'tude.

Neither one of them is oversized, they are both pretty average within the standard though Moto has better conformation. Roxy is a little bigger boned.

One thing I have never understood was making a color DQ in the standard because of suspected origins. DQing the color doesn't stop dogs from suspected origins of being bred and registered. Just look at Roxy and Moto. If merle was a DQ in chis then Roxy would be DQ'd, but Moto who is within standard could be bred. Which would mean that Moto, who is just as much suspected to be an outcross with another breed as Roxy is, would be polluting the purebred chi genepool even further.