Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Squishy22

Thanks, jessie. I was wanting to see another opinion about this. The info I have come across about merles is not good at all. The part that gets me is that breeding a merle to a non-merle can produce blind and deaf dogs. To me, thats not something I would want to risk. But then again, what is the likelihood of that happening?

I personally really like the color, and planned on getting a long hair merle in the future, BEFORE reading what I have come across...

I've seen the merle forum, and need to take a closer look.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
Thanks, jessie. I was wanting to see another opinion about this. The info I have come across about merles is not good at all. The part that gets me is that breeding a merle to a non-merle can produce blind and deaf dogs. To me, thats not something I would want to risk. But then again, what is the likelihood of that happening?
Ive never ever heard that before... ??

I know it can happen when breeding merle to merle ??
Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
Ive never ever heard that before... ??

I know it can happen when breeding merle to merle ??
Yup, I've never heard of that before. Thats why I am questioning it. Apparently the eyes become so diluted that it affects the eye sight. Same with ears. I should explain it with the proper terminology, but I dont feel like looking it up. Tired from trick or treating. lol.

IF merle is not a color that was recently added from mixing in another breed, and it was truly around for a long time. AND problems only arise when two merles are bred together (which can be avoided), then I dont have a problem with it. I know hidden merles can be avoided by breeding merle to a dog of a dark color.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
On average over a large number of litters, breeding merle to merle will produce one fourth full colored dogs, one half merles and one fourth defective whites (also called double merles). Breeding merle to full color will produce one half full color and one half merles, but no defective whites. The merle to full color breeding, then, produces just as many merles as does the merle to merle breeding, and without the danger of defective puppies. The safe breeding for a merle, then, is to a non-merle mate. This breeding should produce all healthy puppies, and about half will be merles.
http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/Merle.html

http://www.lethalwhites.com/doublemerle.html (aussie page but same thing)
Old 10-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
I'd be curious where the info came from.. Merle to a non merle dog shouldn't have those issues.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
I'd be curious where the info came from.. Merle to a non merle dog shouldn't have those issues.
In the links I posted. Either its true, or someone made it up...

Apparently a breeder of merles had issues with her puppies and she never bred merle to merle. Who knows...
Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Yep... exactly. Breeding a merle to a non merle has the same risks as breeding a non merle to a non merle.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Thanks for the links. Interesting read.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Squishy22

The one thing that I thought was weird and even fishy, was that why are so many chi breeders saying that breeding merles is asking for trouble and problems, when other people breeding australain shepherds for instance, dont have problems. Assuming they steer clear of breeding two merles together.

I've come across many breeders who are EXTREMELY against breeding merle chihuahaus...
Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

The first link is written by apparently a geneticist big into GSDs. But.. he seems to have a screwy understanding of DNA testing.. Suggesting merle chis be compared against doxies is special. Unless one is proving parentage and familial relations, DNA is useless.. We see how well breed testing works so far.. So to suggest it suggests some questions with the dude's entire article in a way.. If he doesn't understand how DNA tests work.. How does one pick and choose what he is right about..

Picasso seems to be into scare tactics. Merle (not double) dogs can have hearing or sight difficulty.. It is linked to the amount of white.. Excessively white merles are at a higher risk of having issues, but it's not common in the scary way they imply. Excessive white it what one gets in a double.. and while it could happen in a single, it's not that common..

Third link isn't worth much.. sad the breeder had issues, but photos implying blue eyes are scary and how could you look into them daily isn't worth much.

I'd say the issue is people who don't have a clue about merle with their own views and possibly confusing double merle at times.. and a few breeders on some small dog forums have claimed it's an issue of jealousy for some of them. There are some nice merles in chis winning and winning often. So with the implications there's other breeds in them way back seems to be a way to discount their wins.

Saw this rebuttal back in April found it interesting. Have an issue with her stud being 'dna'd pure' as it doesn't work like that so far.. but thought her view on it was worth a look. http://www.thedogpress.com/ClubNews/...urran-0802.htm

Merle is my favourite dane colour. It's non breedable in their standard, but it's the colour I'd love to maybe have one day. I also adore roan in cockers.. but to find well bred ones is awfully hard.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground