Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I never buy anything at any shop that sells puppies ! Also , beware of on line selling !!! Good breeders don't need to advertise selling puppies .
The exception to that is with rare breeds. Without websites, it would be extremely difficult to locate a rare breed breeder!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
The exception to that is with rare breeds. Without websites, it would be extremely difficult to locate a rare breed breeder!
I agree, most rep. breeders have websites and they list all the Titles, pedigree's and health clearences for all to see, nothing wrong with that. Along with planned breedings for the future and results of past breedings.

We all know of people on and off line that claim to have shown, worked and won/Titled and done health clearences on their dogs but when push comes to shove, that can't back it up and prove it.

That is the beauty of the net, people if so inclined can find out info when breeders don't prove it and it can be done quickly instead of waiting days or weeks for a reply from an association, club, or registry.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
I never buy anything at any shop that sells puppies ! Also , beware of on line selling !!! Good breeders don't need to advertise selling puppies .
But why? What is wrong with breeders trying to reach the people who might turn to BYB and millers. Not saying they will sell to these people, but what is wrong with it? Many great breeders advertise in publications like Dogs in Canada.

I guess I am a bad breeder then I have advertised. I found one great family who didn't know where to find a good breeder (I turned away dozens of horrid owners but helped educate a few). I now have a great little girl living with a fabulous home. Why is it bad to advertise? Why does it matter how the people find the breeder? As long as the screening process is good. One of the most disastrous puppy buyers was word of mouth.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Squishy22

I've always heard that only BYBs advertise, but I never understood why. I dont understand why its so bad.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Things do change I guess . I personally feel that rare breeds would not need to be advertised ....unless they have many litters .... and these I would stay away from . Would be fine with me if they had wating lists , but not available pups .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Things do change I guess . I personally feel that rare breeds would not need to be advertised ....unless they have many litters .... and these I would stay away from . Would be fine with me if they had wating lists , but not available pups .
BUT WHY is it wrong to advertise how great your dogs are? To showcase their titles? WHY is it wrong to try to reach the people who don't know where or how to find a great breeder.

I have to say I have never understood why its ok to make it easier for JQ public to find a BYB than a good breeder.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
BUT WHY is it wrong to advertise how great your dogs are? To showcase their titles? WHY is it wrong to try to reach the people who don't know where or how to find a great breeder.

I have to say I have never understood why its ok to make it easier for JQ public to find a BYB than a good breeder.
It's not wrong to advertise ... but the answer as to why people think it's wrong is in a previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
I've always heard that only BYBs advertise, but I never understood why. I dont understand why its so bad.
Pretty much everybody's heard that at one time or another. There is still advice in articles and books that says "good breeders never need to advertise". The traditional advice just hasn't caught up yet.

Personally I'm all for new ways to get the word out to the general public ... if only for education than anything else. Many more people now know better than to get pet-store puppies ... at least more than once did. As more good breeders get web sites and place ads about what they do, along with contact information, then even more people can at least know what to ASK a breeder. Like, "Do you health test?"
Old 10-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

OK .....my last statement . Line bragging is fine !!! Had I had internet years ago , I sure would have been there ! But not to sell puppies .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Actually I am more than a little confused, I very clearly recall a post of your's about a year or two ago, when you stated that by todays standards that you were a byb. That you didn't do genetic testing and didn't show, that you only bred for the pet market. Those are your words not mine.
So now you state that good breeders don't advertise, but its ok if your a byb and you sell pups by word of mouth??
Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

Without a breed club, and until recently, without any major events we could show in or titles we could achieve, how on earth do you expect the rare breed people TO let people know about their dogs? Telepathy!?