Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
~Lisa~

Default Wy do people breed? whats the point of breeding?

On another "forum" I am on (its not actually a website based upon a forum, its a game, but has offtopic fourms ect in it)

Some one asked why do you breed?

Quote:

So, I was reading the other thread, where I got to yell at people >> But, I did learn some more about animal, or specifically dog breeding there. But, what I was wondering was, what's everyone's opinion on it? I guess, narrowing it down to cat and dog breeders.

Personally, I've never been a fan of breeding animals, I refuse to buy a dog off a breeder because for me I can't not think about all the animals sitting waiting to be adopted in the pound. I don't understand how people who are going for a family pet don't adopt a puppy from a shelter or answer an ad. Most of the time I see ads for free puppies or kittens.

Nor will I ever have a pet that is not spayed or neutered. I have accidently had a couple of litters of kittens once, only because the cat I claimed as mine was actually feral and I was still in the process of getting her used to me, it took long enough for her to let me pet her, let alone pick her up and get her in a crate to go to the vets! After she was basically part of the family where we able to get her down there.

Being worried about what you get from the pound...all animals you own should be properly cared for, have their shots and checkups from the vet.

Given my opinion though, I know it's not an "evil" practice. And I know some people do enjoy showing dogs.

If you can, I do want to know other reasons why people breed.

And why shouldnt you buy from pet stores and breed dogs from petstores. Most seem to think that responsible breeders sell to pet stores. They seem to think Im a total idiot for even thinking that no good breeder sells to pet stores.

so whats your opnion on the first quote then what others think of pet stores?

Offcourse you all know my view, as I have expressed it before ect. But I would like other views to back it up aswell.

thanks.

(
Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

I bred only to continue a wonderful line started by my Golden mentor . Both he and I wanted good Golden off spring ..... he for showing , me for showing or companionship . We both did all health testng aqnd had wonderful litters that made many people proud and happy to have our pups . I admire those who breed for Winning , but to me having a family pup is more important than the ribbons .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 PM
MyHorseMyRules

I personally like to know the temperaments and health of the parents. One reason for breeding is to help ensure good, healthy pups that serve a purpose. While companionship is also something they like, I know plenty of people that need their dogs to help with herding. Others get pups to train them for things like Search and Rescue. I'm not saying mutts and strays can't do those things. But certain breeds were specifically bred for herding. They have instincts, working temperaments, and drives that most strays and mutts will never have.

Also, the health of the pups is a huge factor. Without knowing the parents, there's a chance that your pup will have a health problem later that will be emotionally, physically, and financially exhausting.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Breeding is a MUST to me. We need to preserve our breeds and can only do that through breeding. There is good and bad in everything and unfortunately the bad breeders outweigh the good. But we NEED our reputable breeders. JMO
Old 10-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Squishy22

I guess some people think of dogs just like rats, mice, snakes, and whatever else you can find in a store.

Any breeder who cared at all about the well being of their puppies, would NEVER sell them to some store. They dont know where these pups are going, how they are going to be treated, and how they are going to be taken care of. Any body with any kind of brain would know that shoving a puppy inside a little glass box, with no bed, no toys, minimal human contact, and laying in their own feces is ABUSE. How can ANYBODY send a puppy to a place like that??

Yes, I've seen pet stores that were THAT bad.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Wy do people breed? whats the point of breeding?
You know, I run across a lot of people who make me ask myself that same question

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 AM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You know, I run across a lot of people who make me ask myself that same question
ROFL! Too true, too true.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 AM
BusterLove

IMO the only reason people should breed is to improve the breed, through health, type, temperment and working ability.

I would oneday like to breed dogs, I do have a breed at the moment I'm very interested in but won't even be pursuing this breed for quite a few years. I want to be totally ready when I do start breeding and that means I have many more years of study ahead of me.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 AM
~Lisa~

Thanks every one. I agree with every one. But I was just the "crazy" personon there who cared so much about proper breeding. Every one was for back yard breeding, and just didnt understand the real concept of breeding for a reason, and not for money. I just wanted to beable to link his thread there, to prove Im not just some crazy dingbat lol
Old 10-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Just try me..

I breed to preserve the genetic traits of my breed. If we all stopped breeding till all the dogs found homes (assuming we could get the irresponsible nasty BYB and millers to stop too.. lol like that would happen!) We would loose too much of the tested genetic information. Why throw the good out with the bad?

BYB are the reason there are dogs in shelters. So to say you want to help the dogs in the shelters and then say that byb is ok makes no sense at all!!! BYB care about the money. They don't care if you are not equipped to own a dog or a specific breed-if you come with cash you can leave with puppy. They don't test for health issues, they don't back what they breed AND if you have to dump it they don't want it back.

A GOOD breeder screens heavily.. just like a good rescue. They spend lots of time helping new owners and their pups. They test all the dogs they use and as many as they can of those they have produced to make sure their lines are as healthy as can be. A GOOD breeder makes owners sign contracts that say that if the owner can no longer look after the puppy, or doesn't want it, that the dog will be returned to the breeder. A GOOD breeders dogs NEVER end up in a shelter or rescue if they can help it. A GOOD breeder requires that the new owners spay or neuter their pup (at an appropriate age) A GOOD breeder stands behind what they produce in the way of full health and temperament guarantees.

NO GOOD breeder will EVER EVER sell to a pet store. THe conditions are horrific, pets stores don't vet (even if a customer drops a pup and it sustains an injury such as a broken leg the pups are likely to be PTS if its too bad but not taken to a vet) Their mark up is so high that a GOOD breeder would loose their shirt. (a dog that costs 1000 in the window cost the pet store about 250 dollars... you can't feed decent food and do basic vet care for that cost, let alone shots etc)

So why on earth would anyone ever buy from a byb or a puppy miller (via a pet store)?