Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Felurian

Dekka, I've always wondered about that myself . . . and figured that if you give them plenty of nutrients for bone growth it's not a real issue. Protein/amino acids are the cellular building blocks, so having a good supply on hand always made good sense to me.

I know I started mine on EVO way before most would have.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Oh, and throw some good yogurt in his bowl. Buttermilk is good if he likes it, too.
^^^ Thought this tip deserved repeating so it doesn't get lost in the thread shuffle.

Cheyenne developed something of a sensitive stomach when she became geriatric ... no intestinal gas but lots of belching and a little barfing/spitting-up. Our holistic vet suggested good plain yogurt ... the kind with active cultures ... along with a little acidophilus powder.

Problem solved, no more sensitive tummy ... and no nasty drug side-effects either.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I DO know of large breed people feeding raw diets and their dogs are just fine. (and Raw by dry weight is at LEAST 45% protein.. even if you are throwing in fruits and veggies)
I've always thought that raw was 20-30% protein, and that the moisture and bone and fat accounted for the rest. Hmmmm.

I know of large breed people who feed raw to puppies, too. One Dane breeder in particular, who has great dogs.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I thought I remember reading somewhere that large breed dogs actually grow slower on raw?????? I may not be remembering that right... but I think that's it.

It might have been in one of my books... I'll check when I get home....
Old 10-30-2008, 06:14 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I found this diet for feeding puppies raw(which includes large breeds)... but I can't find anything that says the differences....

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/puppy-raw-diet/
Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Ok, so I found where it says that the dogs grow slowly. She was referring to their diet(called the natural diet), which includes raw meat.

"Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog: Volume II" by Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, D.V.M

Page 21

Quote:
"Dogs are able to digest and utilize the Natural Diet well, and stool volume is less than 25% of food intake. Young dogs raised on the natural Diet grow more slowly than dogs raised on commercial food, which means fewer musculoskeletal problems. overall vitality and energy are unequaled and, most important of all, the dogs love it."
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I've always thought that raw was 20-30% protein, and that the moisture and bone and fat accounted for the rest. Hmmmm.

I know of large breed people who feed raw to puppies, too. One Dane breeder in particular, who has great dogs.
Dogs drink more water on kibble. To compare you need to think dry weight. Raw diets are about 50% protein by DRY weight. Yes you are right went you add in the water. But if you feed a cup of high quality grain free kibble you will need to feed more than a cup of raw. Volume wise dogs eat less on kibble, but then have to drink more.