Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Best food for a Mastiff?

I have a 15 week old bull/neo mastiff and he has food allergies to grains such as cornmeal, rice and things of that nature. Right now we are feeding him Wellness brand White Fish and Sweet Potato formula and he seems to like it, but he has terrible gas. It's enough that sometimes I have to leave the room, lol. Any suggestions as to what to feed him?

We plan on putting him on a raw food diet after he's about a year old, we were going to start him on it after about 6 months or so, but due to a surgery he had a couple weeks back, we don't want to chance anything happening to him.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
<--------Orson

I think you have to watch giving him just any grain free food.........I think the protein levels are not right for a large breed pup.

Orijen has a grain free large breed puppy food

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...gredients.aspx
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM
<----Thanks Allie

you can also add some enzymes to his food to help with the gas....
Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
you can also add some enzymes to his food to help with the gas....
ACK! LOL.......I wasn't even thinking about that, LOL. I add fresh sweet potato to my dogs' food and it has reduced their gas (and the smell of their gas) a lot!

But I still don't think he should be eating a grain free adult food, especially being a large breed dog. He needs a lower protein food to grow at a slower/steady rate.

I could be mistaken............anyone else want to chime in here?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Bored Now.

Coop's right. The pup needs a new food, not an adult food - that's bad for a puppy. Get a puppy food or an all life stages one. Good luck with finding one that works, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I ditto adding an enzyme/probiotic to the food, though, it works wonders.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Coop's right. The pup needs a new food, not an adult food - that's bad for a puppy. Get a puppy food or an all life stages one. Good luck with finding one that works, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I ditto adding an enzyme/probiotic to the food, though, it works wonders.
Well, if you decide to use Innova, I wouldn't suggest using their Large Breed Puppy food, but to in fact use the Adult Food by all Innova feeding Newf owners on a Newf forum I went to.

The thread with the list of things the LBP food does not have enough of, but the adult food does, no longer exists on the Newf forum. However, I just wanted to point this out in case you decide to use Innova. It's a great food. I have no idea if they have the proper ingredients for your pup, but if they do I highly suggest it
Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Felurian

I raised my Filas on Innova - switched to Innova EVO RM when they were out of the fast growing puppy stage

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 AM
and Fozzie B!

I wouldn't feed the Orijen puppy food... it's still 42% protein, which is pretty astronomical for a Mastiff.

Honestly, I would try feeding digestive enzymes or pumpkin, something to settle his tummy. If that doesn't help, I would experiment with different meat sources. It could be the fish that's upsetting his tummy, or the sweet potato, or even something way further down in the ingredients. Are you feeding Wellness Core? What types of grain is he allergic to, specifically? Does that include millet, oats, flaxseed, etc? A few Timberwolf formulas come to mind that he might do well on, Pinnacle, or there is even a Fish & Sweet Potato Natural Balance formula that might work better.

ETA: These are the ingredients for Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato...
Ingredients:
Whitefish, ground barley (dehulled), rye flour, menhaden fish meal, ground pearled barley, sweet potatoes, canola oil

Hmm... it could definitely be the barley or the rye flour that is giving him gas.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Felurian

Oh, and throw some good yogurt in his bowl. Buttermilk is good if he likes it, too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Just try me..

Just out of curiosity... Is there any proof that high protein hurts large breeds. Growing up I heard many respected breeders and dog people say you should never feed raw meat to dogs, and NEVER bones esp chicken...(raw or cooked)

I DO know of large breed people feeding raw diets and their dogs are just fine. (and Raw by dry weight is at LEAST 45% protein.. even if you are throwing in fruits and veggies)