Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugapup View Post
LauraLeigh I am pretty surprised about Zorro's reaction to Canidae. Canidae is an allergen-free food, so it shouldn’t cause any new allergies and if you look at the ingredients, the new formula actually provides even better ingredients than the old formula. They upped the meat protein and vitamin E levels and added better types of carbs.
You sound like a running commercial for Canidae in every thread you answer about food. It is not the be all and end of of foods. They've done some shoddy things. It previously was gluten free. Now it is not. Peas and rice bran are not all that great on sensitive tummies. Could be the cause of the mass gastro upset across many boards that people reported when the food suddenly changed.

You can tell people all you like that they have diversified and how fantastic it is. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Terrier Lover!

I happened upon this thread while looking to see what others thought about the Canidae grain-free kibble. Like SO many dog owners, I'd had my 2 dogs on Canidae for over 5 years, and when they changed the formula I was not happy about it at all. Both dogs ate it okay, but had very loose poo for about a week, and then very yellow poo for good.. and LOTS of it! I've always alternated them about every 3 bags to another quality food, just for some variety, but had always liked Canidae the best for their main food. When I heard they were coming out with the grain-free formula I decided to try a bag once the pet store I buy my food got it in. My dogs love the grain-free formula... and the poo is back to "normal" and MUCH less volume! I also had a former foster dog returned to me about a month ago that had skin issues, and had been on Kirkland Lamb & Rice (and told any other food caused skin problems) but I switched him "cold turkey" since I was not given any of his food when he came back, and he has not had a bit of trouble with the switch to the grain-free Canidae from day one. I'm very pleased with this formula... and most likely will still use this formula as my "main" kibble... but I am still very disappointed in what Canidae pulled with the formula change on their other formulas... shame on them!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Puppy Dog

My breeder used Canidae for years so that is what we used also until they changed the formula and added more carbs, they also changed their processing plants to one that had a lot of issues during the recall. One thing I will say about Canidae is they did post a new formula on the website, most companies do not and it is not fair to those that have animals with sensitive GI issues. I started using Merrick but the regular formula gives them gas, the BG does not and the coats are looking great. It is not always allergies that cause the runs but just that it is different and some animals don't do well with change. There is acutally quite a list of companies that have changed the formula without notifying the public since the recall issue, it is one of my pet peeves, my cats get sick if you THINK about making a change