Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I hope its doesn't take, but if it does, I hope they turn out good. There ARE many awesome dogs from accidental breedings, often breedings that would have taken place anyway . . . just not right then. So, I join the others with don't beat yourself up, and don't risk your bitch terminating the litter if it was one you were thinking of doing anyway . . . you never know what you might be missing.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

What's done , is done . I wish you well .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I guess at risk of being flamed I will share my oops...... My Father In Law and Uncle live in a duplex type set up with us, and they had fallen in love with a Chi mix we had rescued. Rosie was sweet but had issues and had been very abused. We did not have her spayed and looking back that was a poor choice, at the time we felt she had been through so much and became so traumatized every time we took her to the vet that we did not want to put her through it, we had no plans (of course) to breed her and no intact males living with her.

Well..... I had put Zorro out in our fenced yard, and was doing housework. I had no idea Rosie was in heat and my FIL had missed the early clues, she must have kept herself VERY clean and the only other dog in their home was a spayed beagle. I went to call Zorro in and much to my shock they had let Rosie out for a Pee and she scaled my fence ( Now this is a 8 lb or so Chi who scaled a 5 1/2 foot fence) to get in with Zorro and they were tied in the yard!!! I was horrified and likely should have done an immediate spay/abort but honestly I chose to hope it had not taken. It had.....

The rest of the story was heartbreaking to say the least, when the pups were very young, less than two weeks if my crappy memory serves me correctly, Rosie went out for a pee and took off like a shot, they called and called and yelled to me for help. Rosie had spotted a coyote in the barn behind the house, gone after it and was killed. It was the saddest thing I have ever dealt with.

Lynn took a couple of pups to see if she could help and if her bitch would foster the pups even though her last litter was over a year(?) ago. Well, Hailey saved those pups imo!! She not only cared for them (brought the rest to her as well) but actually produced milk!!!!!

The whole experience was a hell of a learning experience and I am so thankful to Lynn and Hailey for saving those pups.

Compared to that disaster of and Accidental Breeding, Lynns Opps is not so bad. I hesitate to even share the story because I know in my heart Rosie hould have been spayed, I just never dreamed in a million years she'd scale a fence to get in with Zorro!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Laura thanks.
Oh poor Rosie, still miss her and she wasn't even mine. I remember very clearly the day she decided that I was her one of her few friends and someone outside of her family to be her friend.
I also very clearly remember that day when you called all upset about the breeding, I laughed and said of course the breeding would take because it was the one that you didn't want.
And I remember how that poor little dog which had been so terribly abused and showed it even years later (except with her family ) how proud she was and how much she loved those pups. I truely believe that was the happiest time of Rosie's life.
Just as I was so proud of Hailey for adopting her grandbabies, she nursed them and raised them like they were her own. It had been 2 yrs since her first litter. It took Hailey two weeks to reach full lactation but her and I worked very hard at feeding them and they thrived.

Those pups as you know, were placed with iron clad s/n contracts, we found them awesome forever homes as cross bred jrts.
One's owner is a Prof at Yale and we always joke that we have a dog that teaches at Yale. (she can go everywhere at Yale with her owner but the caf and library.)

Here is a pic of them while being raised by Hailey.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

What cute pups !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I too would not risk the life of your bitch. As you said, sh*t happens. Don't beat yourself up. People who are coming across holier then thou have clearly never made a mistake in their life!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/