Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Top Dog

Default Bloody h*ll, had a accidental

breeding this morning. Bitch has been in heat for 3 wks, flagging for 15 days!!
Kept her away from my stud and as of yesterday he had no interest in trying to get to her. She was still flagging (showing to Petie neutered male) a little bit this morning and looked like she was well on her way to going out finally. She had time out in the fenced backyard by herself with me watching. Back in the house and crated..........my stud dog busted her wire crate!!!!!! I was in next room and heard nothing until they tied.
With any luck the breeding didn't take, but with my luck it did which means pups born at x-mass from a bitch that I had no intentions of breeding for at least a year if not more.

So now its a wait and see, I'll take her to the vets at the right time to have her checked and to confirm if she is preggo's or not. Also there is no question as to whether she gets the 'morning after shot', I will not risk it and her future as a broodbitch.
Bloody hell.....................
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Well I have had bitches go into ovulation that late- or even later like day 18.. Wait and see... You can do the shot but uh that can cause problems as well.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Resident fainting goat

i hope it all works out, sometimes accidents happen.. its amazing what hormones can make boys do lol

hope everything goes well if she is pregnant, and if shes not, i hope you have another crate to contain that boy lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Hope all ends up ok for ya.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Walks into Mordor

Ugh. Sorry to hear that! I'm just curious: how does the "morning after" shot affect future breedings? I don't doubt what you're saying; I've just never heard of that potential side effect before.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Ah thanks guys, lol I hope my hub is as understand............
The 'morning after' shot is a chemical abortion and from what I know it comes at a high risk of really messing up the reproductive health of the bitch. But I don't know why or any specific details. Now if you had no plans on breeding in the future, it would be fine and recommended. There are many very valid reasons to use but not in this case. Yes I do have crates for all the dogs, my stud had been crated as well especially for the last 2 wks when he was really fussing badly to get to her. But for the last couple of days he had stopped and wasn't showing any interest in her, he had lost so much weight that he was now eating and sleeping alot. I had him loose in the house with me, he had been sleeping on the sofa just before this happened. They have both been crated a lot in the past 3 wks, I slacked off thinking that it was now safe.................wrong!!
I was waiting to breed her for serveral reasons, one she doens't have all her health clearances yet, although some of them can be updated and quickly if needed, she is also not proven yet as a working and performance dog and finally she is only 18 months old. Those are the main reasons for not doing that breeding yet, the others include that this litter would be due at Christmas almost to the day, that also means a litter in the winter which I don't like at all, means lots of added work especially with housetraining very young pups. And lastly if I drop out of remission and I am not well again I would not be very well to properly raise a litter and it isn't fair to my family to put that added burden onto them.........
At any rate, the deed is done, I just can't believe that he managed to break that crate which was on the top and managed to do that with me in the next room and not hear a thing!! My first clue was when she yelped from the tie.
At which point I though she had pinched a foot or toe in the crate or something like that and was hurt and I ran to help her.
If there is any humor in it, I certainly had a time of getting them out of that crate and on to the floor during a tie, so I could give them more room and comfort her.......good grief.
And that crate was in excellent condition, heavy wire and tight etc. I am not foolish enough to keep a inheat girl in a plastic crate or in a crate on the floor etc. And if I want to use this crate in the future for another dog, it will have to be repaired with tie wraps or new steel clamps etc.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

I had a litter aborted by C section if your worried about the shot . Had a wanted litter a year later .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

Lynn i feel for you as you know i have been there only worse as mine was also mixed breed ! you know i will help in any way i can after all you saved my hide with my litter ! please excuse my typing i an at work typing this on my phone and the thing will not flip the good way to surf Only to text ggrrrrr
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Hey, but for the grace of *od....

If you keep intact dogs and bitches, this is always a risk. My bitch looks like she is out of season too, but she will be kept from her sons for at least another week.

Dogs can be very determined, and no way you could predict he could knock into her crate and nail her.

Here's hoping she missed.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Felurian

Lynn . . . sometimes things happen no matter how many precautions you take.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian