Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Maximum of 3 hours a day in the crate?

I'm watching It's Me or the Dog and Stilwell just said that the maximum time a dog should spend crated in a day is three hours?

I disagree. For a puppy, maybe. But this is talking about adult dogs.

Izzy and Frodo are crated for about 5 hours while I'm at class some days and they sleep in their crates at night. They are obviously suffering horribly from this mistreatment, LOL.

Though it's not as though they are crammed in tiny crates with nothing to lay on either...

My mom calls Frodo's crate Corgi Hall (both Izzy and Frodo can spread out in it and still have room to spare )

Thoughts on this 3 hours max bit?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

I saw that too, and have always thought it was no more than 8 hours at one time. I see nothing wrong with more than 3 hours. The thing about the dog on that episode was he was not happy in his crate, and the owner obviously had a dog with anxiety issues.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

Three hours total? Or three hours, plus sleeping in the crate at night?

Where did she suggest the dog sleep at night?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Dafuq?

I think it's a cultural difference, really. I'd come home to dead dogs if I didn't crate mine. And 3 hours or less means they would need a stay-at-home "mom." (Which they have, but that's beside the point.)

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 AM
Top Dog

hmmm that will be case to case basis... If your crate is not cramp up and your dog can spend his time inside it comfortably id say that it's ok to leave them there for 5 hours or more... But i still suggest to walk him or have him some free time outside coz sometimes it can really be boring if you world is locked up in the 4 corners of the crate...
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 AM
overdogged

i think it'd be lovely to be able to only crate a dog three hours per day, but unfortunately, for a lot of people and dogs, it's not practical. my dogs are rotated in crates now while i'm gone, but up until just a few months ago, they were crated the whole work day with an hour or so break in the middle over lunch. they did fine. even on the days when work was crazy and i didn't get home in the middle of the day and they were crated for 11 hours straight, they were fine (though i felt horribly guilty!)
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Top Dog

I think it's less important how long they are crated for, and more important what you do with them the rest of the time.

If they spend eight hours in a crate while you are at work, then get let out in the yard to pee, and then get fed and ignored most of the evening while you are at home...yeah, sucks to be them.

But if they get a good chunk of exercise before you leave in the morning, get to come out in the evening and go for a good walk, do some training, interact with you throughout the rest of the day, etc., I don't think their quality of life really suffers much. I suspect that if someone videotaped the average adult dog loose in the house while they were alone, they probably spend the majority of their time sleeping in the same spot anyway. What's the difference if they are in a crate?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Top Dog

Well, mine are in their crate all day while we're in school or work. It was either that or not have dogs
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Yorkie Love

Well I never really liked the idea of crates but was forced to use one when Armani was a puppy. I got him one the size of the one PWCorgi showed, haha! (It was not being used to housebreak) There were times he was in there close to 8 hours and he never seemed to be all that concerned about it. I have now switched him to a doggy proofed room when I am gone and this works better for me but I think many dogs can do well in crates, so 3 hours max seems a little ridiculous. I dont really agree with dogs being crated for extended periods of time everyday though with no chance to get out. Unless the crate is big enough to walk around in I suppose.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:55 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I think it's less important how long they are crated for, and more important what you do with them the rest of the time.

If they spend eight hours in a crate while you are at work, then get let out in the yard to pee, and then get fed and ignored most of the evening while you are at home...yeah, sucks to be them.

But if they get a good chunk of exercise before you leave in the morning, get to come out in the evening and go for a good walk, do some training, interact with you throughout the rest of the day, etc., I don't think their quality of life really suffers much. I suspect that if someone videotaped the average adult dog loose in the house while they were alone, they probably spend the majority of their time sleeping in the same spot anyway. What's the difference if they are in a crate?
Yes. Yes yes yes. I use crates. My 2 young dogs still sleep in crates. I have 2 bitches who hate each other, they spend some time in a crate each day so the other can have free time in the house. But all my dogs have hours to run and play in their exerise yard, and they all have one on one time with me.

It is not so much about how much time is spent in the crate, but much more about how the time OUTSIDE the crate is spent.