I think Pete has a cold...

I think my Dog, Pete (Lab/Shepheard mix, 8 years old), has a cold. He was sneezing Sunday afternoon quite a bit, loud sneezing that he doesn't do very often, only when he gets one of the cats hairs in his nose. :D I wasn't home during the day yesterday and the wife didn't really pay much attention to him till I mentioned it last night when I got home. He wasn't sneezing last night, but kind of sniffling. Like he was trying to blow something out of his nose. Do dogs get colds? The wife said it looks like his nose is a little running today and he usually has a warmer dryer nose not a colder wet one like now. He still eats like a pig, and is drinking waterm and is his normal happy go lucky self. Side note, the new kitten had worms, so we gave him a wormer from the vet, but I think in day two of the treatment, Pete got into the litter box. The vet said to just keep an eye on him, and this was about a week and a half ago. He's been a real healthy dog... No real medical problems.. Is there anything I can do to make sure he gets better and not worse?

Thanks
Aaron

Debi

I don't know...I'd have to take Pete to the vet. BUT..my Addie sneezes all the time, always has. I've not given it a thought because she is healthy otherwise, too. She's been to the vet for numerous check-ups and all is well. Hey.......I dust......so don't know why the heck she sneezes!!! Maybe allergic to humans! Seriously, have him checked. Hugs to Pete (((hugs))) :)

I see two distinct possibilities. First, have him checked for worms. It's very probable he's caught them from eating "goodies" from the litter box if the kitten had worms. Not really a big deal; it's something that happens. The other thing is he may be sneezing because of the litter. Most cat litter has a great deal of dust and even some chemicals that could be causing an allergic reaction.

Get Pete checked for worms, then get a litter box with a cover that he can't get in and get dustless litter. It will be better for your kitten, too. The dust can sometimes have toxic effects in cats' lungs.

What's your kitten's name? Keep us posted on how Pete's doing. We worry about our Chazhound friends.

You know... we just changed cat litter not too long ago.. I wonder if he's getting into it more than we know about. Especially since we have two litter boxes now instead of just one. I think the lid idea would be great if our adult cat wasn't afraid to go inside anything. She can't even stand to be in the bedroom with the door closed. We can try it though..

I'm going to have the wife call the vet today and see what he thinks about it too.

Will worms cause sneezing? I thought that worms was just lack of appetite, throwing up, and diaherrea...

The new kittens name is Oreo. He looks like an oreo cookie, mostly black, with white going down his face and belly. The adult cat's name is Casey. She's all white, 2 years old, and about 12 lbs. She's a healthy eater. lol She was only 10 lbs before we got the new kitten. Now it's hard trying to keep both of them out of each others food.

Most dogs view the litter box as a goodie box. Ugh! So it's easy for a dog to pick up a dose of worms from a kitten.

Worms can cause all kinds of strange symptoms, including sneezing and matter in the eyes (clinically known as "eye boogers" - lol). Sometimes there aren't any symptoms other than a slight loss of energy and or weight.

The vet called last night and they basically told us to give him baby asprin and keep an eye on him. If it gets worse, than we are to take him in. He was acting better last night.. Begging for food as usual and pestering the cats. Still sneezing though. Doing his usual day time thing and sleeping, so I don't know how better he is today. I'll keep everyone posted.. The vet didn't seem to worried about worms, so we have been keeping an eye out for that too. Watching his stool and making the wife check his rear end. lol

It's always a good sign when they've got an appetite. You know the expression, "a healthy appetite!" How's his energy level?

I'll bet your wife just loves being the "rear admiral." (g)

She told me this afternoon that he has been following her around all day again.. The last few days he has just been lounging around.. Some days he will do that, some days he won't sit still... Today was the won't sit still days. So thats a good sign.

Yea. She just loves it. LOL

Ok... Got home last night, he's doing much better. lol He came to the door with his ball. Started to growl, then kicked me and dropped his ball on my foot. Still a little sniffle here and there and a full blown sneeze once, but other than that, he's really starting to act his normal self. lol

Members online

No members online now.