Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

My vet seems to be pretty good with breeds, but his assistants... wow. One thought Keira was a GSD, and the one who made up her chart put her down as a "dovermin"..

The assistants thought Dance was an Aussie when she was a puppy and almost put that down on her chart, but I told them to put "NSDTR" just in time.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
thats fine for rarer breeds...

but for a vet to tell me "those are pappillions because chihuahuas dont come in long haired" is terrifying, its such a common widespread and even overly popular breed.

or a vet telling someone they have a purebred "TERRY" if a vet doesnt know that the group os TERRIER not terry then i dont htink id ever want to go to that vet.

And of course...vets that ENCOURAGE dogs that are obivoulsy mixed or not even close to breed standard to breed! they just worry me! in this day and age they should know better!

That is the sad part, at first one belive there's no harm, but when a vet calls someone white curly hair mutt is really a shih tzu and that is so pure breed it has to have puppies, then is when they turn owners into nasty BYB

And if someone else thell the owner is not a shih tzu, the owner repply "the vet told me he's 100% shih tzu"

And about the chihuahuas, one vet told my cousin that her chihuahua wasen't pure breed beacuase brown chiuahuas don't exist, that they only come in black (??)

I guess that some vets don't reaserch anything about breeds, and they only look at the posters of "all the dog breeds" with some dog drawings that alpo or dog chow gave to them to promote the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogstarAcademy View Post

To the poster about skyes, actually, got an explanation. :P The most recent Disney remake of Blackfriars Bobby stars a Westie as Bobby- and they still call him a Skye in the movie.
So that problaby is, maybe the vet saw the movie and guessed the dog is a skye

I didn't knew about that movie.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Prey Drive's a BITCH!

I really like my current vet. When I went there with Ty for the first time when he hurt his paw, the vet immediately said "it's nice to finally see a working line dog in here". There's two local breeders, one who produces American conformation lines, and one who produces German Highlines. He spotted the difference instantly, too.

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

-- Capt. Max von Stephanitz
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
and Fozzie B!

At my former Vet, I brought Fozzie in for some puppy shots, and my Vet was out so I got a different lady. She picked Fozzie up and said "awww, what a cute Australian Dog!" and I went "escusez moi?!"... "Oh, you know, because of that blue eye!"... "Uh, well, lots of breeds have blue eyes. He's half Corgi."... "No, he looks just like an Australian Dog!"... "An Australian Shepherd? I don't know about that..."

Among other reasons that the Vet's office annoyed me, I switched Vets right after that incident. D: My new Vets list him as a Corgi x Husky, which is much more accurate than Australian Dog.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

i've been lucky so far, vets knew right away roofus was an OES, and that popper was a beagle/cattle dog (course I think he looks pretty obviously like those two dogs, myself). Blossom is a little harder but the dalmatian part is kind of a DUH thing.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Top Dog

do you have better pics of popper? he looks like a deer beagle. some lines were made by breeding up pure beagles and some took short cuts by crossing w/ fox or coonhound. it's unusual for a dog to retain pure houndy ears if one of the paents is a natural prick ear. if however there was some english coonhound in the background a beagle type dog could have the red ticked color and still have pure hound conformation.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:59 AM
Top Dog

i understand that its hard to memorize every breed there is ...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Active Pup

When we adopted our puppy, we were told she was a beagle/dachsand mix with beagle being dominate...Well, she pretty much looks like a mutt..She has the dachsand black and tan color, but she has really long legs and a long body... And she sure didn't get the hounddog ears either..pretty small ones!! Our vet said she would be about 30 pounds so we'll see how she ends up!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Big Dog

We adopted a dog from the vet when I was a kid and my mom only agreed to the dog because they told us it was a chihuahua mix. 6 months later he was 60 lbs.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

I don't expect vets to know every breed either, but they must have learned about a lot of them...you'd think. Don't they need to know what diseases or genetic defects the various breeds may be prone to? I never noticed anything with the vets I've used that they weren't familiar with the breeds I had. But then, I haven't had any unusual breeds.

I had someone, when I was on a walk with my Lab and my byb Chi, Jose` when he was very young ask me if Jose` was Bonnie's baby? LOL. He was about the size a Lab puppy would be if it were just born or maybe a couple of weeks old....and there he was, walking on a leash, all coordinated and strong. I think he was under a year old, but don't remember exactly. Anyhow, he was obviously not a brand new puppy. LOL. But he was big for a Chihuahua (but not that big) and gray in color with semi prick/dropped ears, little short legs and tiny feet.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson