Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
<----Thanks Allie

No, she ment as in she's the correct breed size. The dog is def the right weight for her stature.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Top Dog

I don't think larger dogs can do the same as a 60 pounder. Maybe on a limited individual scale, but not as a general, global breed scale. There's a reason that larger dogs break down faster and are not as sought after as smaller ones. You don't hear stories of people taking their GSD's on a 20 mile run behind a horse to compete at a schutzhund trial then run back the 20 miles again after doing OB, protection, and tracking at the age of 10 years old, but they used to.

The breed didn't used to have to be "retired" from work by age 7 or 8 like they are today. There's a reason for the standard and I don't know why people think they know better. Trust me, I get hit by the 50 and 60 pounders just like I do the big ones. I know what they feel like. If I wanted a big heavy lug to just hang on and stop someone, i'd get a rottie. If I wanted a strong agile, rocket, climb up ladders, scale walls, work all day work past age 10 and live a long active life i'll take a "small" gsd, mal or dutchie. Bigger isn't better

measure your dog like this

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/measure.htm

the height for a GSD bitch is 21.6- 23.6 inches tall, or if you like cm 55-60 cm
Old 10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

Even the small ones don't always last 10 years. One of my friends had a Mal that he did patrol and bomb work with, she was retired at 6 due to bad knees. Another guy I know is a prison guard k9 handler, his last dog had to be retired at 4. The mal was about 55lbs and the GSD about 75.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
or dutchie. Bigger isn't better
I have been reading about Dutch Shep. lately and I think they are very interesting....I wish there were more breeders around.

Even Dutchies seem to vary a lot in size. I think most of them are slightly larger than Mals but I seen one on TV doing a bitework demonstration and it was 90lbs....which I thought was way above standard.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

no they don't all last that long, but on a whole, general type scale, the smaller ones last longer. At least in my experience. It's just not as hard on a smaller dog.

Almost all of my experience is with people working within the standard for working dogs. When you start getting into other dogs that are obviously outside the standard the differences are huge, but that is a whole thread unto itself.

Dutchies are a nice breed, with limited experience. There aren't many around. The few i've been around have all been pretty nice, but nothing better or worse than any other working breed. I've seen a big range in the ones i've seen in terms of size and temperment, but like GSD's or Mal's.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I don't think larger dogs can do the same as a 60 pounder. Maybe on a limited individual scale, but not as a general, global breed scale. There's a reason that larger dogs break down faster and are not as sought after as smaller ones. You don't hear stories of people taking their GSD's on a 20 mile run behind a horse to compete at a schutzhund trial then run back the 20 miles again after doing OB, protection, and tracking at the age of 10 years old, but they used to.

The breed didn't used to have to be "retired" from work by age 7 or 8 like they are today. There's a reason for the standard and I don't know why people think they know better. Trust me, I get hit by the 50 and 60 pounders just like I do the big ones. I know what they feel like. If I wanted a big heavy lug to just hang on and stop someone, i'd get a rottie. If I wanted a strong agile, rocket, climb up ladders, scale walls, work all day work past age 10 and live a long active life i'll take a "small" gsd, mal or dutchie. Bigger isn't better

measure your dog like this

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/measure.htm

the height for a GSD bitch is 21.6- 23.6 inches tall, or if you like cm 55-60 cm

I would just like to brag that my 8 yr old 65 lb mutt can do that run (not sure about the working part though). But she runs beside my horse on trailrides, some that have lasted well over 7 hours... and she STILL has energy when I get her home! I think she'll still be able to do it when she's 10 too, bc she hasn't shown any signs of slowing down.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM
<------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
I have been reading about Dutch Shep. lately and I think they are very interesting....I wish there were more breeders around.

Even Dutchies seem to vary a lot in size. I think most of them are slightly larger than Mals but I seen one on TV doing a bitework demonstration and it was 90lbs....which I thought was way above standard.
Dutchies are pretty much just a brindle malinois, there shouldnt be much size varyance (if any).

Mals are usually slightly smaller when compared to a GSD however may be slightly different depending on what type of Belgian Shepherd you have. Correct me if im wrong but from my recolection Belgian Shepherds come down to what town they originated in in Belgium.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

There can be and is a large difference in Dutchies, just like Mal's differ in French types or belgian. Some breeders have 45 lb rockets, with snipey little heads and some are 85 lbs and look every bit a GSD, but for a brindle coat.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Squishy22

I cant help but think that a GSD at 120 pounds is going to seriously hinder their ability to work efficient, not to mention the strain it will do to their joints. I think its awful.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
I cant help but think that a GSD at 120 pounds is going to seriously hinder their ability to work efficient, not to mention the strain it will do to their joints. I think its awful.
Most likely you are correct but I have seen 120 Presas that were incredibly athletic and were very good working dogs. I realize the GSD that is 120lbs is a poorly breed dog with only distance working lines at best.