Horizon Complete

Saje

Island dweller
Ok I'm still looking for a brand to switch over. Price is a huge factor so I was wondering how Horizon Complete looks. It's about $45 for the big bag and is made in Western Canada which I like

Complete Adult

Bags Available in:
2.5 kg/5.5 lb
8 kg/17.5 lb
15 kg/33 lb

Calorie Content:
Me (Calculated) 3569 kcal/kg
Me (Calculated) 392 kcal/cup

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Hulless Barley, Whole Grain Rye, Fresh Deboned Chicken, Hulless Oats, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Dried Egg, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Sodium Chloride, Alfalfa Meal, Saskatoon Berries, Dried Kelp, Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Whole Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Di-Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Probiotics (Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product), Methionine, Mannon Oligosaccharide (Mos), Fructooligosaccharide (Chicory Root Extract), Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin C (Ascorbyl Phosphate), Ferrous Sulphate, Iron Proteinate*, Zinc Sulphate, Zinc Proteinate*, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Proteinate*, Copper Sulphate, Copper Proteinate*, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Seleno Methionine, Magnesium Oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 26.0 %
Crude Fat (min) 14.0 %
Crude Fibre (max) 3.0 %
Moisture (max) 10.0 %
Calcium (min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (min) 0.9%
Omega 3 (min)** 0.47 %
Omega 6 (min)** 3.73 %

Dekka

Just try me..
its pretty low calorie so you will need to feed a fair amount. Its also low protein. I think you can do better for your money.

(higher cal/nutrition means you feed less-so this actually maybe more expensive in the long run)

Saje

Island dweller
I was thinking about their grain free line as well. Horizon Legacy I think. Know anything about that one? they didn't have it in the store so I don't know how much it is

noludoru

Bored Now.
INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, Menhaden Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Chicken Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove. Visit the Ingredient Glossary to learn about each ingredient.
This looks pretty good to me. The italicized bits are making me go WTF though.... that's a lot of pumpkin seeds (I don't have anything against them, but.. they're the first ingredient after the fat) and why is their clay in the food? Clay? Middie likes to eat clay, but I don't think I'd want it as a regular part of his diet, lol. The bolded one - "menhaden" fish meal? I remember we had a discussion in a thread ages ago about it, and I think the general consensus is that it was a questionable ingredient, but I might be remembering wrong. Overall it looks fine, but if I get to be nitpicky, it irritates me that all the yummy-sounding ingredients (apples and farther down) can't be a huge part of the food.. I mean, there's more probiotics than all of that. It makes me wonder if companies just do that so the ingredient list looks better or something.

Zhucca

Lab Love
I love horizon. I'm not much of a fan of their complete food because of the amount of grains (though customers that are on it their dogs are doing REALLY well on it) however they are a very ethical company. Horizon is based out of saskatchewan, and they have use very high quality products. They can take a bag of kibble (one with grain), and tell you what field the grains in that food came from, since they grow and source the majority of their own products. They also buy from ethically raised farm animals. Their foods are also low GI, which helps keeping the dog feel full for longer.

I do prefer their Horizon Legacy product, at my store (Pet Planet in Alberta) it costs 59.99 + gst. Horizon Legacy and Orijen are basically the most popular foods fed by Pet Planet staff I've noticed. Though I am confused at the pea starch concentrate.

Ingredients: Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal, salmon meal, turkey meal, pea starch concentrate, green split peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary, citric acid), whole eggs, flaxseed, salmon oil, dried alfalfa, carrots, apples, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, dried kelp, dried pumpkin meal, colostrum, sea buckthorn, fenugreek protein meal, dried pomegranate, dried astragalus root, dried milk thistle, glucosamine HCl, chondroitin sulphate, garlic, enzymes (dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried aspergillus niger extract, pineapple, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation product, rhizopus oryzae), probiotics (dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, and dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product), yucca schidigera extract, mannan oligosaccharide (MOS), burdock root extract (FOS), vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, vitamin C (ascorbyl phosphate), ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate*, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate*, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate*, copper sulphate, copper proteinate*, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, seleno methionine, magnesium oxide.

Nutritional Information
Protein (min.): 40%
Fat (min.): 16%
Fibre (max.): 3%
Moisture (max.): 9%
Omega 3:1%**
Omega 6:3%**

Dekka

Just try me..
~~Mafia~~

I've heard good things about Legacy before.. The kibble list in the original post isn't doing much for me though. You can do better, what's it cost?

Montmorillonite Clay has something to do with aiding digestion. I know people who have gotten it from holistic vets to add to their normal food. This kibble isn't the only one with it in it.

I love Horizon. It's actually pretty cheap for us here too (cuz it's made here in SK) and I think it's actually really good quality stuff (for the price anyway). It was actually made by a farmer who was a pet owner and wanted better food for his pets. I really trust the stuff. :)

I'd go with Legacy over Complete though.

I switched from Origin Large puppy breed to Horizon Legacy because I was told it would help her gain weight. I had to put fish oil on her food or she'd leave it. Vet thought she might have allergies due to ear problems and suggested Medi-Cal, which has grains - said 'no thanks'. Switch to raw in the last week. I had no problems with either food - just wanted her to gain some weight and enjoy her meals.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
~~Mafia~~

I've heard good things about Legacy before.. The kibble list in the original post isn't doing much for me though. You can do better, what's it cost?

Montmorillonite Clay has something to do with aiding digestion. I know people who have gotten it from holistic vets to add to their normal food. This kibble isn't the only one with it in it.
Nature's Logic has it as well (Dante is doing STELLAR on Nature's Logic)

What is “montmorillonite�
The montmorillonite used in Nature’s Logic’s products is a natural source of mined colloidal trace mineral clay which contains over 50 mineral compounds. The area where this product is mined is a result of volcanic ash being deposited into inland sea waters.
This product is approved for inclusion into USDA Organic Certified products. Reported benefits from including this form of montmorillonite clay into animal feeds have been the binding of aflatoxins, lowered somatic cell counts by dairymen, improved weight gain, better utilization of food, glossier hair coat and improved hoof condition in horses.

A research department at Texas A & M University has conducted preliminary testing of montmorillonite. Initial results were positive for sequestering aflatoxins, but they indicated further study was needed.

Nature’s Logic’s products derive all nutrients from 100% food and other natural ingredients without the inclusion of chemically synthesized vitamins, minerals, or trace nutrients.
http://www.natureslogic.com/faq/

Saje

Island dweller
I really don't like a food with soooo many ingredients. I really want a simple food that is complete, human grade and has a decent calorie count. Oh at a reasonable price. Is that too much to ask for? :rofl1:

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I really don't like a food with soooo many ingredients. I really want a simple food that is complete, human grade and has a decent calorie count. Oh at a reasonable price. Is that too much to ask for? :rofl1:
Yes. Duh. :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.