Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'smybaby View Post
can you put a vest or back pack on her with "dog in training" printed on it? Sometimes people will have more respect for something like this than the actual words of the owner. Just a thought.
Now THAT is a very good idea! I hadn't thought of that...wonder where I could get something like that. Then at least people might not roll their eyes at me when I say I'm training her. They might assume it's something a little more "legitimate" than...just wanting to have a well behaved dog.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I would, under no circumstances isolate your pup from people or keep people from handling her [...] She's just a baby. Expecting adult behavior from a 4 month old pup is like expecting a 2 year old child to keep his hands off of everything that interests him.
She isn't isolated from being handled at all. She is mauled on a daily basis when I have her at work. And, like I said, she does get handled on the street routinely.

Maybe you missed the main point of my post... I'm not frustrated or disappointed with my dog's behaviour. Obviously she's young...why would I expect adult behaviour from her? Heck, most ADULT dogs don't sit reliably and act calmly while being petted. The frustrating part is trying to enlist the help of people on the street and having them actually reinforce bad behaviours in her.

I'd like more control over the people she interacts with, not her. She's doing a very good job.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post

What I would do with a dog that jumps is with children I kneel down and hold the dogs collar as the kid pets, that way the dog cannot jump up and knock over the child. Same with elderly people.
This is basically what I do now, though I assume that if I'm making the choice for her (preventing her from jumping by holding her collar) she's not learning to control herself or make the decision herself. Of course, we're talking about a baby so I'm not expecting adult levels of self-control, but she has to start somewhere.

But of course I do want people to interact with her and jumping is just rude so I do hold her collar to keep her feet on the ground.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
By picking and choosing who they meet and greet, you are directing the activities (leadership), protecting them from unstable people, and teaching them to accept boundaries.
Yep, that's what I do. I decide who she does and doesn't meet. It's not always convenient for me to stop mid-walk and let someone fawn over her, as much as I'd like to. Sometimes I'm in a rush, or I just don't want to interact with the person. And I don't want her to learn that she gets to stop and greet every single person she ever comes across. I don't want her to get upset or frustrated when she has to walk past someone without stopping (which she does right now). Eventually she needs to learn that sometimes she will get to stop and say hi and other times we're just going to keep walking.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

No, it wasn't your post which prompted my warnings about avoiding people. It was other posts. I just am one of those trainers obsessed with socialization. It's like if one does nothing else with their dog, at least socialize the living daylights out of it.

I know what you mean about "training" other people vs. dogs. But instead of putting the brakes on them, I found it more effective to get them interested in what I was trying to achieve, explain it a little bit and enlist their help. They seemed so much more willing to sort of join in and "follow directions" that way. I found that more people than I thought would be, were actually interested in a little explanation and feeling like they were needed to help. Most people like dogs and those who come up and want to visit can be of use to you in your training practice. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

Really sounds like you are on the right track!

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Eventually she needs to learn that sometimes she will get to stop and say hi and other times we're just going to keep walking.
My dogs all learned that but when they were very young like yours, I really needed lots of opportunity for visiting, especially since I've lived here where I do, where there just aren't that many people. LOL. But as they learned their lessons in walking nicely on the leash and "let's go"....all that fell into place.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
I offer tiny food rewards to the sitting puppy during the visit, as I am making sure the pup holds the sit.

[...]

good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.
Oh god, I wish Nova cared about food when people were around. She's like "What? What is that you're trying to shove in my mouth? Disgusting!" She'd much, much rather chew on a hard or arm.

I hadn't thought of getting people to kneel down to pet her. She's pretty tiny still. I can see why she jumps! People are waaaay up high! Might be kinda hard to get compliance from the public since it'll rain here every day between now and late April...wet knees aren't cool. But maybe we'll try that a few times and see how it goes.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I know what you mean about "training" other people vs. dogs. But instead of putting the brakes on them, I found it more effective to get them interested in what I was trying to achieve, explain it a little bit and enlist their help. They seemed so much more willing to sort of join in and "follow directions" that way. I found that more people than I thought would be, were actually interested in a little explanation and feeling like they were needed to help. Most people like dogs and those who come up and want to visit can be of use to you in your training practice. LOL.
Maybe it's geographical...Where I live and where I take my dogs, JQP doesn't wanna hear the explanations. Mind ya, I've had a lot of fun with the kids who want to pet my dogs and they've been very enthusiastic as I explain to them the dos and don'ts of interacting with dogs, and explained to them about the training I'm doing. But the adults...They just don't care about all that, and after many losing attempts at engaging them (I mean, c'mon...I'm a teacher...) I switched to being much more direct with them - either my dog behaves or you don't pet him. That approach has gotten many more people to actually become interested and helpful.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I've had a lot of fun with the kids who want to pet my dogs and they've been very enthusiastic as I explain to them the dos and don'ts of interacting with dogs, and explained to them about the training I'm doing. But the adults...They just don't care about all that, and after many losing attempts at engaging them (I mean, c'mon...I'm a teacher...) I switched to being much more direct with them - either my dog behaves or you don't pet him. That approach has gotten many more people to actually become interested and helpful.
Yep!

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.