Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Training the Trainer

Question How much should we feed our pup???

We are having a lot of trouble organising how much we should be feeding Ruby. She is a 12-week old labradoodle and is growing very fast (but no faster than a normal pup, I would think).

We thought that perhaps we probably weren't feeding her enough so we started bulking up her meals a bit and have noticed quite a radical change in her behaviour - she is much calmer and more mellow, doesn't nip and bite as much, and seems more contented.

However, I have seen and read in quite a few places that we should be feeding her four times a day - and one site said as much as she can eat in 20 minutes! We feed her puppy biscuits and puppy meat three times a day, and a couple of times a week she gets a raw egg and some yoghurt. But the food is literally gone within three or four minutes, which makes me wonder is it enough? She also gets a small bone at night.

I have been told by many people that Labrador breeds will eat anything and everything and always look hungry even if they're not, so be careful not to overfeed them. But I can't help feeling like she's not getting enough.

Any advice???
Old 08-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Top Dog

whats her weight like? yes it is better for her to have four meals a day, it also depends on what you are feeding her? Most brands will have a rough guide on the daily amounts, yes some dogs do appear to always be hungry, but as long as she is a steady weight and not fat, then she should be ok, it also depends on the amount of exercise you give her?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Overfeeding is dangerous. If they eat too much, they grow up too fast, and it's dangerous for their bones and articulations. What kind of biscuits do you feed her? Isn't there any indications on the bag of how much you should give?

I can't help you much, but I think if you move this to the feeding section you will have more replies.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Quigleyfied

ruby, you might find this article interesting:
http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicl.../dog-diet.html

as for how much to feed - how much does your dog weigh? there are other factors that come into play, but knowing age and weight, i could calculate at least a general guideline for you.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I W A L R

When Wendy first came to my house (She is a black lab mix), shcould eat aall the food she wanted.We just left food out for her.It is dry food so it will not get spoiled.She does not over eat and she does not undereat. think labs know just the right about they should be geting, and they eat it.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Quigleyfied

sheba, most labs are notorious chow hounds and would eat until they explode. sadly that is why you see so many obese labs.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Manchesters

Default How Much.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubylove
We are having a lot of trouble organising how much we should be feeding Ruby. She is a 12-week old labradoodle and is growing very fast (but no faster than a normal pup, I would think).

We thought that perhaps we probably weren't feeding her enough so we started bulking up her meals a bit and have noticed quite a radical change in her behaviour - she is much calmer and more mellow, doesn't nip and bite as much, and seems more contented.

However, I have seen and read in quite a few places that we should be feeding her four times a day - and one site said as much as she can eat in 20 minutes! We feed her puppy biscuits and puppy meat three times a day, and a couple of times a week she gets a raw egg and some yoghurt. But the food is literally gone within three or four minutes, which makes me wonder is it enough? She also gets a small bone at night.

I have been told by many people that Labrador breeds will eat anything and everything and always look hungry even if they're not, so be careful not to overfeed them. But I can't help feeling like she's not getting enough.

Any advice???
Had to go back and check when I saw puppy BISCUIT lol. WHAT is that? Is it available in small pieces? We used to have a food here called Kennel Bisuit. It was a meal type food.

The answer to your question is that she should be allowed what she wants to eat 3 times per day. And in a very short time, you should cut it down to twice a day. Say maybe a week.

And boil the egg. Raw egg does destroy some of the B vitamins. Yogurt is great. YOU should eat some also! We all need it a few times a week to replace the flora and fauna of our guts (that means replace the good bacteria, rofl).

A puppy of that mix and of that age should have a lean look to it, without the back bone, hip bones or ribs showing. But you should be able to feel the ribs and back with just a bit of meat covering them.

Hope that will help.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Raw egg does destroy some of the B vitamins.
the enzyme avidin contained in the egg white binds to and inactivates biotin (vitamin B7) within the body, but the egg yolk supplies more than enough biotin to make up for this loss.

fact is, you can feed whole, raw eggs (the yolk and white) without any problems at all. the only way you could ever create a biotin deficiency from feeding eggs would be if you fed your dog insane amounts of raw egg whites only on a daily basis over a long period of time.

so for the average dog owner, this isn't an issue at all.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Manchesters

Default That Is Good To Know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
the enzyme avidin contained in the egg white binds to and inactivates biotin (vitamin B7) within the body, but the egg yolk supplies more than enough biotin to make up for this loss.

fact is, you can feed whole, raw eggs (the yolk and white) without any problems at all. the only way you could ever create a biotin deficiency from feeding eggs would be if you fed your dog insane amounts of raw egg whites only on a daily basis over a long period of time.

so for the average dog owner, this isn't an issue at all.
But there is also the possibility of salmonella, isn't there?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:20 AM
no touchy

Quote:
It is dry food so it will not get spoiled.
Dry food can become stale.

We left food out when Colby was younger and we first got May, we don't anymore. They are fed once a day, in the evening. I feel this is safer because we know they're getting the exact amount they need - not too much, not to little.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.