Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Resident fainting goat

Default choosing between diffrent small breeds

ive never had a small dog before.. ive always had big mix breeds so this is all very new to me. ive done some research and im just looking for opinions/advice

-im looking for a dog that is inactive indoors, but still likes long walks once or twice a day
-doesnt need a yard (ill be living in an apartment)
-small size obviously, small enough to take places with me in a bag
- sturdy little dog that likes to play
- cuddly
- not very barky (because of the apartment)
- friendly with other dogs
- not too shy, likes to explore, be in new situations, go to new places
- not to many grooming needs/alot of shedding.

the breeds ive been looking at are:
1. Papillion: ive always liked them, but im having trouble finding a breeder that has puppies for less than $1200 and any information about them.

2. chihuahuas: i like the breed, my parents used to have a great chi . but paris hilton, and all the biters, yappers, ect.. that i have seen has made me a lil reluctant to get one. and i cant find a good breeder that doesnt worship "the teacup"..and everyone just seems to have one, and some of them that i have seen do not look..like dogs.

3. mini dachshund: i just like those lil weiner dogs.. they are short, just like me and are tough little dogs

i really would love a puppy, but depending and how my life goes from now, a rescue/adopting an older dog might happen, but i rly would love a purebred this time around
so if you have any recomendations for me, know a good breeder, have some information of the breed, or anything
please post
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Squishy22

Chihuahuas tend to yap, although not as much as some min pins I've seen. Some might disagree, but I think they are a little more fragile due to their tiny size. They normally do not like other dogs, dog aggression is well known in the breed. They prefer their own.

The dachshunds I've seen are yappers as well. My aunts male is worse than my chi/min pin mix. They are very nice dogs though. Loves people and tolerates other dogs pretty well, from what I've seen.

I have no idea about papillons, but I do know that there are a few members here who can tell you more about them.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Resident fainting goat

its not that i need a dog that is completly silent or anything, but since its an apartment, barking at every noise wont be very nice to my neighbors.

my cousin has a min pin.. i will never own one. ever. im traumatized, i babysat that dog for a week and couldnt wait to give him back lol
Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Pug...fits it all. More than any of the 3 you posted, IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Resident fainting goat

pugs are usually 13-20 pounds, which is unfortunately too big for me to carry around in a bag, which unfortunately, my lifestyle requires. i dont want a dog that i have to leave at home all the time, especially since small dogs (as long as they are in bags) as accepted EVERYWHERE here. beleive me, i wish a leash was enough, but its just not
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Resident fainting goat

my vet also says the exceptionally hot weather down here makes it hard for pugs and the breeds like them.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
Pug...fits it all. More than any of the 3 you posted, IMO.
I thought of that one as well, but my moms is a notorious barker... not sure if all of them are though. Its insane. They also shed like CRAZY. They aren't small enough to fit in a bag to carry either. Not that I agree with carrying a dog around constantly.

As far as yapping goes, the good thing is that chis tend to have somewhat of a small voice. Compare it to a min pin or dachshund and there is a big difference. I think all small dogs tend to be yappers, other than basenjis of course. LOL.

Boston terrier is one that comes to mind.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
pugs are usually 13-20 pounds, which is unfortunately too big for me to carry around in a bag, which unfortunately, my lifestyle requires. i dont want a dog that i have to leave at home all the time, especially since small dogs (as long as they are in bags) as accepted EVERYWHERE here. beleive me, i wish a leash was enough, but its just not
I think they are more around the range of 17-20 pounds. My moms is 21.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Oh, it's *you*

LOL...most women's PURSES weigh that much...lol. if you are planning to leave your dog outside...weather matters...if the dog is in a ac house, car, room, or walking or exercising long stretches at a time...I can't see it making a difference.

ALL the dogs you posted to me, I would consider barky. Just me tho.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 10-17-2008, 11:33 AM
RedyreRottweilers

AKC breed standard:

Quote:
Size, Proportion, Substance
The Pug should be multum in parvo, and this condensation (if the word may be used) is shown by compactness of form, well knit proportions, and hardness of developed muscle. Weight from 14 to 18 pounds (dog or bitch) desirable. Proportion square