Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx520 View Post
also the vet says that he may turn away from having to have this 'dominance' over other dogs whenhe gets neutered but we'll see
This is exactly why you should not take training advice from a vet.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashland View Post
well.. you can have his teeth filed down . and put a bark collar on him.

i hope you didn't mean this seriously.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post

i hope you didn't mean this seriously.
I sent this person a PM... After looking at his/her other posts, it appears that it may actually be meant as "advice".
Frightening!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Dafuq?

Well if chop chop means neutering, that is a good idea. (I missed if this dog is neutered or not.) The other advice with regard to teeth filing, bark collar and whatnot has the same worth as a wooden nickel.

As someone who owns a breed that is naturally aggressive towards other dogs, I can tell you that dog aggression is not something that can be trained out, but it can be controlled if you're dedicated to that idea. You can work on attention, on getting your dog to walk past another dog and ignore it. But you can't take a dog that is not interested in making nice with other dogs and turn him into a dog-loving dog. Classes are a good idea. They will teach you to work with your dog around other dogs.

Certain people here on this board who walk dog-aggressive dogs will tell you that we refuse to muzzle our dogs just so that other owners can let their dogs run free "safely." If you don't want to muzzle your dog in situations where you can reasonably expect other dogs to be on leash, then I don't blame you. My answer for my dogs when walking in the neighborhood is that I carry a breaking stick to get them off another dog if it happens, and I will try to scare off other dogs before it reaches us. But if another dog wants to keep coming, they may well get handled by my dog. Thankfully, we're out in the country and dogs out here seem to have sense enough to keep their distance.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Puppy Dog

well the town that i live in has a leash law...the person's dog who sky got into a fight with was not on a leash and was the one who approached him...sky doesnt growl or bark at other dogs...he pulls really hard towards them, but after the fight, i dont quite want to see how he'll react when he gets face to face with another dog...i dont let him around other dogs and he is always on a leash...our old dog (a shepherd mix) actually broke a cable run that we had about 4 times to get to other dogs...cornered a rottie that was almost twice her size when she was younger, and had lots of aggression towards other dogs...but as she got older it seemed as though her aggression aged out...i dont know if this could also happen with the new dog as well