Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Question about finding a good breeder

Now... don't get excited LOL. We won't be getting another dog for quite a few years (at least not a breeder dog... we could lose our minds and go for another rescue lol but there are breeds that I will only deal with a breeder) but it never hurts to look around and get an idea of the breeders out there.

So I kinda get the basics... OFA and such. But I have happened upon a few sites where past litters haven't been very successful. many pups died or had issues for example. Some have had some successful breedings after the breedings that weren't so great but I can't seem to get over that they have had litters where they suffered a large loss.

Is this something I SHOULD be wary of? I mean I know when Breeding you always run a certain risk of this kind of thing so could it just have been bad luck or should I RUN from these breeder sites and never return. Does it also depend on breed? are some just more prone to complications than others (I am looking at large breeds not like english bulldogs or pugs... I know they can have serious issues during labor0

Like I said... this won't be happening for quite a while but I am just tryign to get a feel and get as much education on the red flags as I can as I really don't know it all lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Bored Now.

Too late, I'm excited. What breed?

I think that if the problems were in the past and they are not repeating similar breedings it is fine, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

I think the fact that they are open and honest about loosing pups is a good thing. I think it also sort of depends on what killed the pups. If it was genetic I'd want to make sure they are not breeding those dogs again. Same with temperament problems. If it were environmental/transmittable disease I would be sure that you go and see where the dogs are living and ask about what they are doing to prevent this from happening again. So I guess it would all depend on what killed the pups and what the breeder has done about it.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Too late, I'm excited. What breed?

I think that if the problems were in the past and they are not repeating similar breedings it is fine, but that's just my opinion.
LOL well one of them will most DEFINITELY be a Great Dane... but that one won't be for quite a few years.

but I am also looking at other breeds that I would prefer to get through a good breeder like a Boxer. I love them but they can be riddled with issues so I definitely want to find a good breeder.

Brian also wants to get a well bred Lab to be a good retreiver for hunting. He has ALWAYS ALWAYS wanted a good hunting dog. So if anything it is likely that the lab would be the first dog we get and the rest will follow later when we have the farm lol.

How far "in the past" should they be? should there be a number of successful breedings after that that I should look for or should I just look to make sure they aren't using the same breed pairings?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

#1 ...Go through your State's Breed Club . #2 ... Never buy without seeing the Kennel itself ( or have someone you trust to visit ) . #3 ... remember that anyone can make a wonderfully appealing web site .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I think the fact that they are open and honest about loosing pups is a good thing. I think it also sort of depends on what killed the pups. If it was genetic I'd want to make sure they are not breeding those dogs again. Same with temperament problems. If it were environmental/transmittable disease I would be sure that you go and see where the dogs are living and ask about what they are doing to prevent this from happening again. So I guess it would all depend on what killed the pups and what the breeder has done about it.
Good advice... thank you I will definitely be sure to keep all of those things in mind.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
#1 ...Go through your State's Breed Club . #2 ... Never buy without seeing the Kennel itself ( or have someone you trust to visit ) . #3 ... remember that anyone can make a wonderfully appealing web site .
How do I go about finding the right state breed club...

Like I typed in PA Great Dane breed club and all that really came up was the AKC website and then a bunch of fluff sites.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
RedyreRottweilers

http://www.gdca.org/specialtylisting.htm
Old 10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
thanks... that was wierd because I clicked that link and it took me to something totally unrelated so I figured it was just fluff... must have been a glitch

G.K. Chesterton

Old 10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

Will be glad to help you out if something in Indy hits your eye !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/