Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Default Gee, thanks for the input! :(

Warning: this is a rant.

I had a very rude (and loud) comment from someone on a walk last night!

Nova and I were at the beach. She ran with her long lead on for a long time to burn of some energy, then we went up onto the long boardwalk to do some loose leash training.

An older gentleman (and I use the term loosely) and his dog were playing with a ball on the beach just down from the boardwalk, about 40 feet away. Nova wants to play, of course! But she can't. We're training! It's a distraction so it's a good time for her to learn. I know it's tough, but I know she can do it!

As we walk past it's painfully obvious that we are training. We walk two feet, she pulls on the leash, I come to a halt and wait for her to take the tension off the leash before we go forward again. While we're doing this, he says to his dog "Let's go see the puppy". Ok, somehow he didn't notice what we are doing, but ok. I'll fill him in. "Oh, sorry. We're not meeting dogs this evening. We're training." He rolls his eyes and walks away.

It takes about 10 minutes to walk about 50 feet with our "red light, green light" fun. But she does it like a champ and I'm confident that she'll pick it up eventually. We walk alllll the way down the rest of the long boardwalk without incident and as we walk back the guy and his dog are still playing with the ball. From about 50 feet away (with lots of other people and dogs around) he scowls and yells "LOOKS MORE LIKE TORTURE THAN TRAINING TO ME!"

*cough* *choke* *scoff*

"Yeah? I think she's JUST FINE THANKS."

Don't try to make me look like a villian because I am training my dog. People think it's torturous to come to a halt when a dog pulls on a leash? My...what would he have said if I had my usual puppy training equipment with me...cattle prod, bullwhip...

People.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

I'd have given him a few lashes with my stave and moved on...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
I'm with Gem ... and

On the older gentleman ... I think he meant well the first time. People just go a little buggy when they see a puppy. His second comment was WAY outta line. Sheeesh!!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

I think he's just jealous of your persistance.

(P.S. Have you tried taking a few steps backward when she pulls?)
Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenRetriever View Post
I'm with Gem ... and
DITTO! Good one!

I was walking Tia over to her blanket in the shade when I was doing a vegetable garden for a client. Tia was off-lead, and in ignore mode...except for this crazy neighbor lady who was actually whimpering, "Oh! What did she do?!"...Just because I walked past her without letting Tia interact with her. Tia was fine.

Yikes! Tia is pretty bomb-proof now, but I'm so glad I didn't encounter this unstable woman when I first got her. She probably would have given her bad dreams.

I suppose everyone has their critics.

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Felurian

LOL! Well, when you have a Fila (or an APBT @ idiot people) you don't have THAT problem. Everyone is grateful when you keep going and your dog DOESN'T pay any attention to them

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 AM
and Fozzie B!

Pshhh...

TORTURE?! In that it is not old school, instant gratification/punishment/fear based training? Hmmmok. I think I'll take "torture" over that, anyday.

What a d-bag. It's really strange when people throw a freakin' hissy fit when you tell them you would rather your dog didn't meet theirs. Like, some people are personally offended. D:

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
But please, call me Barb

It once took me 15 minutes to get Dante across a two lane parking lot now that was torture - to me.

I've learned to ignore the idiots
Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

I know alot of people thing that we are nuts. But since I actually started training my dogs I think it is fun. Just ignore the stupid people out there and there are alot of STUPID people out there.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.