Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Felurian

Default Up Until 3:30 AM This Morning

Talking, well, mostly listening, to Dan, the guy who is the main SAR kennel in the area. He covers parts of five states and was also sent to New Orleans and Mississippi after Katrina and to the bombing site in Oklahoma.

He was sitting at the EMS station I walk past with Kharma every night, on call to go search in case the dude they were trying to talk down off of a bluff went ahead and jumped.

He has 27 Bloodhounds and GSDs and one Lab (retired) that he works with and has trained himself. He's quite smitten with Kharma - we'd met briefly once before and he'd read up on Filas after meeting her - and she liked him well enough to climb up on his lap and slip him the tongue, lol.

Interesting field . . . training wise, we talked some about what his dogs are trained to do and how he does it. I was impressed by the fact that he doesn't expect each dog to be a carbon copy of the other. They are all different, have different strengths, and he's been flexible enough to adjust how he trains according to the dog! That's something I don't often hear trainers do. Most of the time I hear, essentially, my way is the ONLY way and every dog will learn from my way. Period.

When I have a litter from Kharma, I'm hoping to keep a pair of pups for myself, and we talked a little about doing some training work in tracking with them I'd love, though, to do some with Kharma, and I'm thinking maybe I can cajole him into working with us some, even though he doesn't train other people's dogs anymore.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

SAR is definately an interesting field, I'm hoping to get into it with my next dog. How fun it must have been to "talk shop" with someone so experienced!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Love my pets

It was definitely worth it staying up so late to talk with him.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

That's great Renee....interesting !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Twin 2.0

I think that's just awesome....and Kharma likes him to boot!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Felurian

One of the really interesting things that I hadn't thought about is that one of the dogs isn't great at finding anything but the other dogs . . . but that's essential sometimes when a dog gets out there and doesn't come back timely. He sends the one out to round up any stragglers.

One time a dog had gotten caught in some brush and fence and couldn't get loose . . . they might never have found the lost dog without the other one tracking her.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
We are Home.

Sounds like a plan mom. Maybe if I get a puppy from that litter you will have 3 SAR dogs from her .

And I didnt know there was a market for dogs who find other dogs. HMMM maybe I can put Walker to work LOL.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-12-2008, 02:59 PM
treehugging clicker freak

That's so awesome!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Fila Love

Awesome!!I never knew they used dogs to track dogs also. He would be so interesting to talk to.

Hmmm, is he married? Sounds like he could be a match made in heaven for you, and us at chaz. We could learn so much. *nudges Renee*

Now, bout those puppies...Brutus isn't getting any younger, he needs a playmate soon. *begs for fila puppy from Kharma*
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Twin 2.0

LOL, Filarotten, think if we make a line and stand with pleading eyes, she'll take pity on us?