Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Show Dog

Default dogs fighting?

I've seen this question asked here, but it seems like many people are unable to stop this problem,but I thought I'd check for some advice..... I have a 12 year old dog ,and 2 1/2 year chi x and now a silky terrier who's 5,we've had him about 5 months.
After the initial getting used to each other period,it was peacable, but recently there have been plenty of fights. Mainly it's between the old dog,and Toto(terrier) he's obviously lowest in the pack,but it usually revolves around food,when olddog smells some within a mile radius and thinks she has to 'guard' it from Toto going near..... usually it's just the kibble bowls, they have their own, but if olddog comes near Totos,or vice versa,well welcome to the dogfights! Then sometimes Tink has to get involved too...and well,it's not my idea of fun.... sometimes it's once an evening,sometimes it's every 10 minutes till we crate them-
Now I've noticed Toto getting all growly whenever olddog goes near him for no apparent reason,and I would like stop this behavior. It's not all the time,but it's enough that I've just about had it-
Anything we can do to help this situation?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

sounds like it revolves around food? I wouldn't be free feeding and/or at meal times they would be fed IN their crates.

Sounds also like Toto is getting 'on' the defensive since the old dog has been fighting him, he's probably gone into that mode "i'm gonna get YOU before YOU get ME"..
Old 10-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
sounds like it revolves around food? I wouldn't be free feeding and/or at meal times they would be fed IN their crates.
x2!

The best way to curb fighting is to prevent it
Old 10-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Just try me..

That is why my guys are all fed in crates, much easier and safer for all involved.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Show Dog

thanks..... I thought Toto was getting reactive/defensive too,he's not naturally a fighter-
I guess I can rearrange the feeding arrangement,so they have nothing to fight over.... Thankyou!