Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

Bubbatd, i also think a rail is important, how anyone can think they are not seems strange, how could you not fit something as simple as this and, then a pup or more dies, I just dont get some people, yep the cage is metal, I did think aboyt getting some pieces of dowling and cutting a slit in the end so they push on the the bars but I will leave this up tp hubby as I'm not very good with a saw lol

Candy, if the question was for me know she hasnt had them yet they are due on the 18th
Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Manchesters

Default Used A Crib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
Bubbatd, i also think a rail is important, how anyone can think they are not seems strange, how could you not fit something as simple as this and, then a pup or more dies, I just dont get some people, yep the cage is metal, I did think aboyt getting some pieces of dowling and cutting a slit in the end so they push on the the bars but I will leave this up tp hubby as I'm not very good with a saw lol

Candy, if the question was for me know she hasnt had them yet they are due on the 18th
I had of course always used a rail with the Dobes and Whippets, but with the Manchesters it isn't really necessary. Manchester moms have heart failure if one of their pups make a sound. Plus I was here 24/6, and if I had to run to Walmart I would put momma in a crate by herself. For some reason the mothers always seemed to apprecate time away from the kids. Of course I didn't go anywhere until the pups were at least two weeks old.

And being able to use just a crib was sooooo nice as far as the space it took up. It was a small crib a friend had made for her dogs and gave me.

I miss the joy involved with raising pups, but I will get over it, rofl.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

I miss it so too, Manchester !!! Such a rewarding experience.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

if you go back and look at Moe's pics of his huskies, you will see the sweetest whelping box i have ever seen. If i have time i will try to find the link. We always had a rail all the way around..and Manchester, if you want to see what some careful breeding did you should see the accomplishments of my old boss. He had a kennel that began in 1935. Ran the circuit with his labradors taking the nationals with two siblings Nip and Tuck. I have a card here for the dog that was the number one search and seizure dog for nebraska, PowerPete...i was in his whelping box..my job was to midwife from the day the pups and then to care for them including the process of sales. He bred for intelligence and ability. This wasn't confirmation..it was field trial. I will find the card in my documents and come back and post. I worked at this kennel for 20 years. Grew up assisting three litters a year, and training the rest of the time as well as cleaning and caring for 40 kennels. We did field trials every spring and fall, training the rest of the year daily.
I forgot to add we also had a special kennel for the mum when her pups wer old enuff to go out. It had heat lamps in it with a special drop floor so no stool be drug in and had a shelf where mum could get away from the pups about three feet high and get a well needed break.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

here is Power Pete..when old boss had alzhiemers and I could no longer ensure his safety at the kennel we had to shut down. these people came and took not only our breeding stock, but our old retirees as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerpete copy.jpg (32.0 KB, 3 views)

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 08-04-2005, 03:24 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

double post put i wanted to add these..here was our whelping box not near as gorgous as moe's but very functional..and our training pond..one side was low and shallow to start 8 week old pups on tiny little retreives, and the other deep enuff for a dramatic splash to build confidence. the kennel sat on five acres and was set up for every imaginable beginning trainer problem
14 pups in this litter..BB always had big litters and we almost always had 100 percent healthy survival. we kept two bins to the side where i would scoop out the newborns and set them under the heat lamp so mum had room to turn around, then i could clean her up replace papers and get the pups back to nursing to heed the next contractions..these big litters make mum very tired..i read in a book what to do until the vet comes and it said coffee for dogs and tea for cats..so when i saw mum was tired out too tired to push i made her a cuppa and it was never refused..worked like a charm..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbpups copy.jpg (16.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bbpupscropped.jpg (17.7 KB, 2 views)

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 08-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesters
I had of course always used a rail with the Dobes and Whippets, but with the Manchesters it isn't really necessary. Manchester moms have heart failure if one of their pups make a sound. Plus I was here 24/6, and if I had to run to Walmart I would put momma in a crate by herself. For some reason the mothers always seemed to apprecate time away from the kids. Of course I didn't go anywhere until the pups were at least two weeks old.

And being able to use just a crib was sooooo nice as far as the space it took up. It was a small crib a friend had made for her dogs and gave me.

I miss the joy involved with raising pups, but I will get over it, rofl.
What about at night time, you cant of been with them then!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Manchesters

Default Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
What about at night time, you cant of been with them then!
Ya wanna bet, rofl?? I have to sleep in my recliner chair because of sqwished disks in my back. The crib was about 5 feet from my chair. I sleep at really weird intervals (diabetic...tinkle every hour!) and heard just about every breath they took. And I have Toy Manchesters---ETTs. The momma weighed about 11 pounds.

I sure envy you the joy of raising those pups. I have tons of VHS tape of puppy fights, puppies romping thru their fresh shredded paper--just like human kids hurling themselves thru snow banks.

It gives us a whole new appreciation of life to see everything thru the eyes of baby puppies. Everything is a wonder and a miracle to them.

Only bad part is the weaning, rofl. Messy, messy, messy. (See my website for pictures, rofl.)

Your little b!tch is a pretty little thing. The puppies should be beautiful.
I sure hope you can get more sleep than I ever was with pups! I have not bred for 7 years, so I have had time to recuperate, roflmbo! And it took just about that long to get rested up from it, heheheheh!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Puppy Dog

I think I maybe should get that book - " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " . It sounds like a good book. I am a fairly new dog breeder so it sounds like a book I should read.

Ezriyah
Old 08-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

Good for you !!!! You won't be sorry...they're really cheap used at Amazon. It's also good for the prospective owners....you can copy and give them the pages that helps them pick out the right puppy for them. I used it to test the pups too , to see which ones needed extra attention as to shyness, bullying etc etc. Post here if you agree of it's worth.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/