Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Rocky won't eat enough!

Hello all,

I adopted Rocky, a chihuahua mix about 3 years old. The rescue I got him from was feeding him Iams, which they sent home with me. He didn't really eat that. I switched to Purina yesterday, and he only picks at it. Any advice/tips?

Pets name: Rocky
Adopt your own!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Better food, dear. Try something with more nutritional value and less random animal parts... Innova is what I feed, and we had pretty good luck with Canidae.
Congrats on your new addition, and GOOD LUCK!!! <3
Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

Also it may take a while for the dog to settle in and eat. And since chihuahuas don't seem to eat much (little dogs eat so much less food) it might fee; like he's not eating enough but he may be eating plenty. Keep an eye on his weight.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:27 AM
<--------Orson

Do you have any supply places that sell quality foods? You can normally get little sample bags for a buck or two and see how he reacts to them.

Backwards mentioned Innova and that is a good one. Purina is very low on the totem pole of quality, LOL.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
swimming upstream

When I brought Wilson home, he only picked at his food for about a week or so. It really took him time to settle in, and chow down--now he eats like a champ (he's been here a little over 2 months now). I do think some dogs just need some time. Don't leave the food down, feed him at scheduled times and then pick the food up.
Whatever food you choose, I would give him time--don't assume it is the food he doesn't like, until you are sure he has acclimated to your home.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Big Dog

Don't pander to him. He'll eat when he's hungry. You're feeding a good quality food. He's self-regulating, which is a good thing.