Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Squishy22

Not that I know a whole lot about registries and breeding, but I just think its ridiculous. The majority of dogs produced by bybs ARE AKC registered. Thats how bybs get their dogs sold. Their dogs are registered so they MUST be quality puppies, right? . A lot of people believe that and thats whats scary. If you look at pet store pups, they are all registered, but it doesn't mean a **** thing.... people fail to realize that...
Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
why do petaphiles campaign against humane horse slaughter in the USA when horse owner/breeder associations tell them it'll lead to abandonment, neglect and increased inhumane slaughter in Mexico.
What is your definition of "humane slaughter"? I disagree with horse slaughter and am glad that it has been banned in the US. Am I a Petaphile?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
What is your definition of "humane slaughter"? I disagree with horse slaughter and am glad that it has been banned in the US. Am I a Petaphile?
"Humane slaughter" means the animal is not allowed to suffer during slaughter. It is ended quickly, they are treated respectfully and carefully during the time before slaughter while being transported and all.

"Inhumane slaughter" would be abusive treatment before slaughter, or slaughtering methods that caused prolonged suffering of the animal.

It's not as if the slaughtered horses are thrown into garbage dumps and wasted. The meat is sold to people in other countries that eat horse. Horse leather is much more durable than cow leather too.

Honestly, if an animal is going to be put down, it is much better that it's done in a manner where suffering is minimalized rather than shipped to a foreign country where there is little to no regulation, and who knows what happens to those horses before they die.

On a personal note, I really like horses but I don't not see their lives as having any more intrinsic value than a cow. Having worked with both, I like cows much more than horses. This doesn't mean I don't eat beef, or that I don't think cows should be slaughtered...because they are livestock, and that is what they are made for. I have had pet cows, and we didn't eat them..but at the same time we kept beef cows that we did eat. The same thing with our chickens, rabbits, etc. From my point of view, the government stepping in and saying I can't slaughter a horse is like the government making a law that I may feed mice to my snakes, but not gerbils because gerbils have more intrinsic value to the general public than mice..and that to me is complete meddling and invasion of privacy.

Please note that I never have or never intend to slaughter a horse. It's just that these laws do not make any sense to me at all.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
From my point of view, the government stepping in and saying I can't slaughter a horse is like the government making a law that I may feed mice to my snakes, but not gerbils because gerbils have more intrinsic value to the general public than mice..and that to me is complete meddling and invasion of privacy.
This is a very valid and good point IMO. And we ALL know why there are laws like this............SQUEAKY WHEELS GET THE GREASE. PERIOD.

This is why we cannot ever stop voicing our opinions on such matters. Whenever the occasion to vote, sign, speak out presents itself, we must do what we can.

If we let the squeaky wheels do all the talking, BSL will happen to ALL of us.............bet on it
Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Water Junkie

Haven't read the whole thread. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-vie-en-vert View Post
What would you guys say, if there was a law passed that all dogs that were not CKC, or AKC etc. registered had to be spayed/neutered by law?
Why on EARTH would you do this? What about the many, many WONDERFUL breed specific registery?

If anything ever was proposed like this, I'd fight it with all my life.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Would you consider the slaughter of dogs for meat acceptable? Horses are not considered food in the US any more than dogs are. The conditions experienced by horses going to slaughter make the former euthanasia practices at the shelter Meg came from (throw all the dogs in a hole, shoot down into it until there is no more moving) seem humane.

The means of transporting the horses to slaughter are appalling. The housing situation at the slaughter houses is appalling. The percentage of horses still alive when slaughtered (far, far higher than with cattle) is appalling. The laws don't say you can't own a horse. They don't say you can't euthanize it, or shoot it, or breed it, or show it, or feed it to your snake. The laws were intended to stop the inhumane killing (and trust me, as I said, US slaughter houses were NOT any more humane for horses than the Canadian ones) of what is essentially a pet animal. I see it as far more of an animal welfare issue than an animal rights one.

And so ends my off-topic rant. Please go ahead and resume your own ranting about the breeding of AKC dogs.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Taxiderpy

I wouldn't consider dogs to be a safe food source in this country, with them being carnivores and commonly eating a highly processed diet I can't imagine that the levels of chemicals that builds up in their bodies over time would be remotely ok for people to eat.

If the conditions you are describing are really how horse slaughter has been handled in this country, then that is appalling. However, I do believe that all of those atrocities would have been completely covered by enforcing existing animal cruelty law. I do not see the need to draft additional laws that strip away more and more rights. I do not see a ban as being a solution, because there are still an excess of horses with no one to feed them, and they will be slaughtered somewhere, somehow...either that or starve to death in someone's back field. I guess it is a little like the euthanasia issue at the pound, except that the bodies of the horses have commercial value and can be utilized instead of incinerated/ground into fertilizer/etc.

Where are the sources for your info? I am just curious, because I assumed that being in America I figured it would be subject to the same/similar regulation for cattle. Especially since much of the meat is intended for human consumption, even though it isn't eaten here. To my understanding, those laws banning horse slaughter were solidly backed by the HSUS and PETA who are notorious for doctored/misleading photos and accounts of what actually occurred. Please correct me if I am wrong, because I am not totally informed and I'd like to know more about the situation.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Bored Now.

They are, Romy... BB is completely correct. I don't have any sources, but I figure a quick google will help you.

Right now horses are being trucked to Mexico - illegally, as far as I know - to be slaughtered, and their slaughtering methods are worse. Far worse. I'd prefer a bullet to the head. Or anywhere, really, to that.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Top Dog

the only thing BB is right on is the transport, most are trucked in the same trailers used for cattle & hogs.
other than that
1. an animal must be alive at the time of slaughter for human consumption and pass inspection by a USDA inspector. if an inspector is shady stuff happens. animals that cannot be lead under their own power or have an obvious illness are NOT legally sopposed to be slaughtered for human consumption but can be for animal consumption. animals that die in pens & feedlots can only legally be rendered for animal consumption.
2. the slaughter of all large animals is as quick and humane as possible because a sufferring and concious 900#< animal is a serious hazzard and liability for the business. it also reduces profit lost to damaged meat.
3. the current law only prohibits the COMMERCIAL slaughter for HUMAN consumption. new laws being proposed would make it illegal to knowingly sell horses for slaughter in canada & mexico and end the slaughter of horses for animal consumption (which is still going on).
4. US & canadian facilities are both equally human for the same reasons of profit & liability. mexican facilities however are lightly regulated and can maintain a high profit margin despite the horrible methods due to less concern over wages & liability. the law boosted production especially in Mexico but w/ no change in the facilities, so more animals are going to an inhumane slaughter. (on a side note the videos produce by the AR whackos are generally the result of MONTHS of video made at MULTIPLE facilities including the couple that slaughter for animal consumption where various equipment like forklifts are used to move down & dead animals for processing. the videos are then edited to look like a short time in a single facility.)
5. horses didn't really become pets until the 70s, prior to that they were still primarily livestock that serve a working purpose. horse meat was a common commodity until after WWII. since it was generally regarded as a poor mans meat (although the some of the very wealthy also had acquired a taste for it from time in europe) the post war affluence was the primary cause of the decline in domestic consumption.
6. the main effects of banning commercial slaughter were: loss of jobs & revenue, increased production in canada & mexico and the inhumane slaughter in mexico, higher rates of abandonment and cruelty incidents in the USA (because horses as pets are just as likely to have improper owners as cats & dogs). ALL of which was predicted by the various horse breed organizations the majority of whom OPPOSED legislation ending humane slaughter at US facilities.

whether horses are "essentially a pet" is a matter of opinion directly related to personal background. I do not consider them a pet. i consider them livestock to be used as necessary and dealt with humanely & in a useful fashion. the real issue is that the personal property rights of the few (to dispose of THEIR LIVESTOCK as they see fit) are being trampled by the opinions of the many (including many who are completely ignorant of the issue and do not own any horses).

ALL of which brings us back to the dog issue in the OP. it is morally repugnant for any group no matter how large or small to forcibly abrogate the property rights of any segment of our society. it is an insult to to the founders of our nation and the blood they shed to give us the level of freedom that they did.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I own a horse, I love her to death and view her as a pet, but I am not against humane horse slaughter and I have also tried the meat (didn't like it, but I do eat it occasionally when I steal a bite of kroketten from a friend, I am told by a snack shop owner here that horse meat is used A LOT.. which I already knew though). My BO eats it as well. Sorry, but I don't view them any differently then I do a cow, sheep, or pig. I would love a pet cow, but it doesn't mean I would stop eating beef.

As far as forced sterilization..... RIDICULOUS. I am not in the states, but go back frequently and possibly might move back one day, really don't want to come back to some of the crap that is being proposed and some that has already been put into place.