Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Top Dog

Default Just a little idea.

What would you guys say, if there was a law passed that all dogs that were not CKC, or AKC etc. registered had to be spayed/neutered by law?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Taxiderpy

Sounds terrible to me. A lot of working breeds are not AKC and CKC recognized because their parent clubs do not want them to be. A law like that would be the death of many old lines of working dogs.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Sounds terrible to me. A lot of working breeds are not AKC and CKC recognized because their parent clubs do not want them to be. A law like that would be the death of many old lines of working dogs.
Like what breeds? And what about the parent clubs?? (I don't know a whole lot about all that stuff...)

BTW this isn't my idea, I just heard someone talking about it so don't think I'm for it or anything, lol. I just wanted to see what everyone here thought.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Taxiderpy

Well, this article has some pretty good reasons why folks don't want their breed AKC recognized. Granted, it's pretty slanted against the AKC, but you can get their points through the bitterness. I am trying to find a somewhat complete list of non-recognized breeds, but all I can find is some articles estimating there are "approximately 400"

http://www.netpets.org/dogs/newsroom/akcfss1.html

A handful of American ones I can think of from the top of my head are:
Catahoula leopard dogs
Alapaha blue blood bull dogs
Chinook
Carolina Dog
Xoloscuintle

Edit: This site has a boatload of breeds listed, most of them very old. Much older than dobes and rotties and shepherds, oh my.

http://www.arba.org/
Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I do not agree with forced sterilization under any circumstances.

What business does the government have telling me what I can and cannot do with my property?

What is next? Book burning? No red automobiles?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
I do not agree with forced sterilization under any circumstances.

What business does the government have telling me what I can and cannot do with my property?

What is next? Book burning? No red automobiles?
I agree. While, yes, I would love to see more dogs spayed or neutered, the government treats animals as property in every other law, so this shouldn't be different. Though, I suppose they do tell us what to do with our property in other ways, such as car titling and inspections...hmmm, I guess I see that more as equivalent to dog licensing, though, rather than altering the dog.

Maybe the government could offer some sort of incentive for dog altering?

If there was mandatory spay/neutering, I would not want it to only exclude ACK/CKC dogs. Like a PP said, there are other solid breeding programs that are not registered with them.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM
<--------Orson

I would say not only do I disagree with it, it would make no difference in the big picture. Most of the BYB's I know of have AKC/CKC registrations on their dogs, pet stores selling puppies as well. Orson is AKC registered for example and he came from a major jerkhole.

Open up any news paper and you can find BYB AKC/CKC all the live long day.

Now, if AKC and CKC changed their rules and policies something like this *could* have potential to work...........not that I would agree with it, but it would have more potential at being effective.

But that will never happen just because of the money issues. If the AKC changed their policies they would lose tons of potential registers and they would never have that.

As to why I disagree with it? More restrictions on MY rights, and again............laws only affect the law abiding.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I would say not only do I disagree with it, it would make no difference in the big picture. Most of the BYB's I know of have AKC/CKC registrations on their dogs, pet stores selling puppies as well. Orson is AKC registered for example and he came from a major jerkhole.

Open up any news paper and you can find BYB AKC/CKC all the live long day.

Now, if AKC and CKC changed their rules and policies something like this *could* have potential to work...........not that I would agree with it, but it would have more potential at being effective.
That's also a good point. My dogs were registerable ( I just didn't bother with the paperwork), but they are not from quality breeders, I must admit
Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

Just to get an idea on how many non-AKC/CKC accepted breeds there REALLY are:
http://www.fci.be/nomenclatures.asp?lang=en&sel=0

And I think this is a terrible idea for RR's perfect reasons.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Twin 2.0

Horrible idea. I do not want to own an AKC Aussie (brainless, multicolored Goldens that they are) and many of the other breeds I want are not recognized by the AKC to begin with (Fila, anyone?).

Red summed it up quite well.