Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 AM
dr2little's Avatar
dr2little dr2little is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
off topic, but... Pedigree's new commercials drive me INSANE, I change the channel ( I really do ) until I think they are over..... The sound effects of the dog chewin the bone/food irritate me for some reason.... LOL

Sorry, had to say it.. LOL
Me too!!! Drives me NURTS!!
__________________


I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-11-2008, 09:45 AM
JoelSilverman JoelSilverman is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 64
Default

Have not seen that one yet
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Boemy's Avatar
Boemy Boemy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSilverman View Post
Your Tabby/White cat... That look gets a ton of work for some reason. I cannot tell you how many clients have picked that color scheme of cat in the past few years. There are actually a few really good cat teams that have your cat's color in Los Angeles.
That's so cool! So do people ever train their pets and then freelance for commercials? (Not that there's a lot of TV work here in Spokane, I imagine. But hypothetically. ) Booster's good at manipulating objects, like opening drawers and such, and he's EXTREMELY food motivated. Also cat-wand motivated. What kind of basics do people usually teach cats?

Back on the dog note, is it true that black dogs are harder to photograph/film?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
JoelSilverman JoelSilverman is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 64
Default

Totally true about black dogs... a real bummer too.. because there are so many good ones.. I am a little different than other animal suppliers. They make a rental on the dogs they own. So they are going to want to push their dogs for the job. Totally understandable. With me, I have no overhead except one dog that is a movie dog. He is Foster and the one all over my website.

That is why I like to use private party animals, and have people kind of freelance. As a matter of fact the IAMS commercials with the Bengal Cat (the spotted cat) that aired for a huge part of this year was done with a private party cat owned by a breeder that I found at a cat show in Connecticut. I went to NYC about 3 weeks prior to shooting the commercial and trained that cat and his brother. I had never worked with Bengals... awesome breed, by the way!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:28 PM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boemy View Post
Why, thank you! They're about six months old in my avatar picture. Remy (the tabby) looks about the same full grown, but Booster (part siamese) is more stripey now.

AWWWW! We need you to make a picture thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSilverman View Post
Your Tabby/White cat... That look gets a ton of work for some reason. I cannot tell you how many clients have picked that color scheme of cat in the past few years. There are actually a few really good cat teams that have your cat's color in Los Angeles.
Really? Like my cat, Emma? (pics in links.. though she's a longhair) I always thought orange cats, or white cats were most popular. They're usually what I see.... same for dogs on TV, a lot of them are white.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
And it's a turbo so it gets good mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:42 PM
JoelSilverman JoelSilverman is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 64
Default

It all goes through phases... and for some reason it has been that look, But no question...the orange tabby and gray tabbies have always been a popular cat, and every animal supplier in the business has one of each. There are only a few white cat teams in the business that I know of.

Someone had a question about training their cat... I have to go but when I come back will tell you what most animal trainers do to make cat training easier.
__________________
Joel Silverman
www.companionsforlife.net
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Angelique's Avatar
Angelique Angelique is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 547
Default

I loved watching Bart the Bear and his trainer/best friend Doug Suess (sp?). Doug has quite a knack with bears.

Another favorite was Moose (aka Eddie) on Frasier. That little dog had quite a history of being rehomed before going to work with his trainer!

I first picked up the use of markers, treats and praise by watching the old black-and-white "You Asked for It!" show on TV, when I was just a kid.

Which animals and/or situations are the most challenging?

I'm also seeing more CGI being used these days in some of the animals scenes - the wolves in "The Day After Tomorrow", for example. Ah, but you can always tell.
__________________
************************************************** ***********************************

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
JoelSilverman JoelSilverman is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 64
Default

Doug Seuss and Bart are a great example of a guy that put the time into that animal. Just his commitment to that animal was amazing! And Moose, yes. The trainer's name was Mathilde, and I actually worked for that company from 1987-1992.

I think the most challenging situations are when there are environmental changes that the art director creates on a set. An example is working with smoke, fire, or special effects. You can have a dog that is trained great for that scene, but once you introduce an effect, things can change. We work very closely with the American Humane Association and they are always on the set for the safety of the animal. so that is almost never an issue. But the changes in the environment can make something easy become more challenging.

Another challenge is bringing an aggressive dog on the set for a snarl, bite, or some aggressive behavior. If it is just the crew, it is not as stressful, but if an actor is in the scene, it can get mentally challenging.
__________________
Joel Silverman
www.companionsforlife.net
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
TheGoldenRetriever's Avatar
TheGoldenRetriever TheGoldenRetriever is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSilverman View Post
Actually, another common behavior that is called for is a "head down", and also a "head up"... a lot of time that takes place when the dog is laying in the floor. You are totally right .. Golden Retriever!!!

And yes cats.. it's funny because so many people think that cats hard to train.. definitely different than a dog... and more challenging.. but it is amazing what they can learn
LOL ... Cheyenne (TheGoldenRetriever .... R.I.P.) did a perfect "head down" and "head up" ... as well as a "Smile" (she'd pull her lips up with a "Smile" command ... showing her clenched front teeth.)

It's not that people think cats are hard to train ... most think they're impossible to train! Not true. My orange DSH cat Rusty (R.I.P.) did all the basic obedience commands most dogs do. My current Turkish Angora/Himalyan cross Y.T. Cat does those and also a perfect off-leash heel. Turkish Angoras as a breed are particularly easy to train ... very people-oriented and far less independent than cats in general. Most breed descriptions of them say they "think they're dogs" and this seems to be true. Not a common breed though.

I disagree though that cats always work solely for the treat. Just like dogs it depends on their individual personalities. Rusty worked for treats ... and it had to be a either a piece of popcorn or a piece of boiled chicken. For Peanut, a black/white DSH, it had to be a piece of boiled turkey! But Turkish Angora Y.T Cat is NOT food motivated at all, for her it's all about verbal praise and/or physical affection.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-11-2008, 07:24 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
off topic, but... Pedigree's new commercials drive me INSANE, I change the channel ( I really do ) until I think they are over..... The sound effects of the dog chewin the bone/food irritate me for some reason.... LOL

Sorry, had to say it.. LOL
Same here, can anyone say mute????? Has anyone seen their commerical with the Jrt? The guy is saying, see? no growling, no snapping, no hiding under the bed...........while the jrt is chewing on the denta bone.

That commerical pissed me off so much I actually sent them a letter and told them it pissed me off and I wanted to know if their product was meant to replace breeding/raising and training a dog properly??

I often wondered if others had also complained because I haven't seen it again lol. And of course I didn't get a response which is what I expected.

Sorry OT.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site