Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
just call me Nilly

It is true that grains and protein are processed differently. Not necessarily faster, but differently. That's even the case with humans, eating certain things together are better for you than others (I can't remember what the diet is called).

I don't know if it's so much kibble and raw, as much as grain and meat

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Taxiderpy

Kirkland is good food. Strider was raised on it. Honestly, he did much better on kirkland chicken and rice than he did on wellness core.

With mixing raw and kibble, we do it all the time. Satin balls...ground meat..sometimes we just toss a blob of meat into his dish with his kibble and he eats it all with no problems. Maybe other dogs have problems. I don't know. They are all different.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
It is true that grains and protein are processed differently. Not necessarily faster, but differently.
This is true. They are *processed* differently. They don't leave the stomach, or digest at a different speed though. Fat is processed fastest, followed by sugars or carbs, then proteins. Its all a matter of how/when they enter into glycolysis/Kreb's Cycle/electron transport. It's not unhealthy or bad to feed a dog grains and raw meat in the same meal. Needing to know how/when the nutrients will be processed is only important if you are doing serious work/strenuous activity with the dog.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
^^^ Not claiming to be an *experienced* raw feeder here, but honestly, how does it make any sense that raw digests faster or slower than kibble? No one tells you not to eat sushi and cooked salmon at one time because it digests differently.
LOL... you haven't met my anthropology professor. My lord. He rants constantly about digestion... how it's insane to eat meats/veggies/grains in one meal... how milk is evil, etc. There are people who obsess over it, out there. It makes sense to an extent.

In my experience, every time I've fed raw together with kibble in a single meal, it has caused upset tummies. Like, the big D. And they're fine rotating kibble and raw meals, just not both at once. They really have iron stomaches, so it does lead me to believe that the two don't tend to mesh well, somewhere in the digestive tract.

If I were feeding supplemental raw meals (I feed occasional kibble meals), I would just make sure the two meals are seperate, and feed probiotics or digestive aids along with the raw at first. Feeding as much whole, fresh food as possible, especially raw, is a great supplement to any diet. It sounds like a good idea, whether you decide to get a slightly lower quality kibble or not.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie