Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
What if you really liked your job? And instead of getting a paycheck on Friday, you get a slightly bigger paycheck on Monday?
If I was told Id be given my paycheck and I always got it after being told and then one day was told but not given it but then later told and given it as a human I could proabably ask alot of questions- So what happened why did you lie about my paycheck? Unfortunantly animals CAN'T and when we rely on a conditioned reinforcer to communicate with our animals, then it makes more sense to hold up our end of the bargin and not dilute our communication source that is purposely paired closely with a reward to do just that.

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
What if you really liked your job? And instead of getting a paycheck on Friday, you get a slightly bigger paycheck on Monday?
but that's different, isn't it? paychecks are not set up on a variable schedule (or at least mine aren't). you know how when we talk about extinguishing behaviors for which dogs have been rewarded and we use the comparison of kicking the coke machine? that's what i think of. i put my money in, i want my soda out. compared to a slot machine where you put your money in and you may get nothing but you may get a huge jackpot. clickers are not slot machines. my paycheck is not a slot machine. it comes when it's scheduled to come because that was the pre-arranged agreement. if the pre-arranged agreement were of a variable pay schedule, it'd be different.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Puppy Dog

You just answered it.. What I do is not clicker training
Old 10-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
clickers are not a slot machine. my paycheck is not a slot machine. it comes when it's scheduled to come because that was the pre-arranged agreement. if the pre-arranged agreement were of a variable pay schedule, it'd be different.

EXCACTLY- Clickers are a classically conditioned training tool which become a CONSTANT predictor of good things to come. Variable reinforcement is hugely useful in training but it is not the same thing as the closely paired relationship of clicker and reward.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSilverman View Post
You just answered it.. What I do is not clicker training
then why on earth are you posting in a thread named clicker training 101 and correcting people on what they are doing??
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

I think we've all verified that by now Joel- and that's fine, but I will re interate if what you do is not clicker training please refrain from coming onto clicker training posts ( like mine) and correcting people about how to clicker train, noone is demanding you use it as a method and noone is rejecting the way you train BUT we would like if you did not pretend to be an expert on a training style you DON'T even use yourself.

Regards
Kayla

Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Puppy Dog

I am going to give you something else to have fun with. I would say probably 90% of the time I do not use any form of a bridge?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am going to give you something else to have fun with. I would say probably 90% of the time I do not use any form of a bridge?
Okay? Since you dont use clicker training this makes sense, bridge is just a fancy word for what the clicker does- marking the time from when the animal hears the click and recieves reinforcement.

Unless we have different definitions of a bridge? It's not like you cant train a dog without reward markers or bridges, these things are aimed at excellerating the learning process but they are not mutually exclusive to learning.

So since we are having fun with this I have a suggestion:

Feel free to open your own thread as to how you train, its clear you are just bursting to tell us, as far as im concerned this thread is going off course and what Doc initially created as an interesting discussion has been just that and more. So if you have nothing more to say about reward markers, please feel free to create a new thread.

I know your new to this forum so simply go to the training section, click new thread and type away.

Kayla

Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Puppy Dog

I am not at all..
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am not at all..
Sorry I am misunderstanding your post.

Not at all what? Not new? Um if you have only been on this forum for what a day or so now, then yeah you are new here.

I have been here for about two months now and I still consider myself "new".