Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Puppy Dog

Default What is Rudy?

I hope you're not sick of these threads, since I noticed quite a few already exist. Rudy is a 3 year-old 42 lb. mutt, rescued from the Humane Society as a puppy. They called him a German Shepherd / Jack Russell Terrier mix, but told me it was just a wild guess. I had a DNA test done last year, but they didn't have many breeds to test yet... so they re-tested him last month, and I'm anxiously awaiting the results. If anyone guesses correctly, I'll give them a cookie - LOL.

As for his personality, he exhibits herding behavior, mostly with my cats and small animals. He's medium-energy (a regular walk or park visit wears him out), very smart, stubborn, finicky, good with cats & people, iffy with other dogs. He also makes a lot of woo-wooing and yodeling sounds, which suggests Basenji or a Northern Breed. So far I've had people guess the following breeds: Kelpie (my top guess), Schipperke, Cattle Dog, Basenji, German Shepherd, various terriers, Doberman, Husky, Spitz, Shiba Inu, and so on and so forth. None of this matters of course, since he's just my baby... but it will be fun to solve the mystery! Anyway, here are a few pictures of him:

The tail is always curled...

Next to a full-grown Pug, for size comparison
Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Puppy Dog

I mentioned that Kelpie is my top guess, and unfortunately they still can't test for that... so if the results are inconclusive again, I'll just call him a Kelpie! Tell me this doesn't look like Rudy:

An Australian Kelpie

Rudy's profile
Old 10-09-2008, 02:33 AM
and Fozzie B!

Rudy is a CUTIE! (hehe. I rhymed)
But seriously, I think Kelpie mix is a good guess. Maybe Kelpie x Shiba Inu? His body type reminds me of a larger, lankier Shiba, but his profile does look a lot like a Kelpie. Does he have a little underbite? I hope the DNA results make sense... I know some people have gotten results that are pretty much guaranteed inaccurate, but I'm sure it works for some.

Those pictures are beautiful. I don't live too far away from SF, and there are a few members who live in the bay area. Welcome to Chaz!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 AM
Top Dog

Without seeing the picture of her next to the pug, she looked much bigger than she is! Lol

I definitely would say Kelpie cross.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
Without seeing the picture of her next to the pug, she looked much bigger than she is! Lol

I definitely would say Kelpie cross.
Yeah, he's not that big - just about knee-high to me, and I'm 5'5". Perfect size, in my opinion! Sounds like Kelpie is the guess so far... too bad they can't test for that yet, but I can suggest they add it. Isn't that an unusual breed around here, though? He was found in Los Banos CA, which is about 2 hours southeast of San Francisco. They do have a lot of farms out there, so maybe some have Kelpies for herding? Hmmmmmm.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Rudy is a CUTIE! (hehe. I rhymed)
But seriously, I think Kelpie mix is a good guess. Maybe Kelpie x Shiba Inu? His body type reminds me of a larger, lankier Shiba, but his profile does look a lot like a Kelpie. Does he have a little underbite? I hope the DNA results make sense... I know some people have gotten results that are pretty much guaranteed inaccurate, but I'm sure it works for some.
He does have a slight underbite, and often gets his lips stuck to his gums - looks hilarious, like he's sneering at you. I guess we'll see what the DNA test says, but I won't be too upset if they can't figure him out... he is unique, and I love him for that! At least it wasn't that much money, since they only charged me for the original test ($55) plus a $20 upgrade fee.

Quote:
Those pictures are beautiful. I don't live too far away from SF, and there are a few members who live in the bay area. Welcome to Chaz!
Thanks, and I look forward to meeting the other locals! San Francisco is a fabulous place to be a dog, and a pretty cool place to be human too.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm definitely going to say Kelpie cross
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Just to be different...I'll say Shiba and Cattle Dog. CD because they are a HECK of a lot more common than Kelpies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Squishy face

I'm going to agree with HBH. Kelpies are extremely uncommon in the United States.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Aging Canine Advocate

i wanna be weird and say cattle dog german shepherd
just to be different
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.