Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 PM
koda bear

They have alot more energy than your normal breed of dog and when they play they do tend to use there mouth if they were not taught at a young age not to do so but both my sibes still play using there mouth and they have a play growl but they know when to stop, You need to set boundaries and ignore the dog when the play becomes to rough and if it continues kennel him for a few minutes untill he calms down.There really not a breed you just jump into owning they require alot of time hard work and commitment on your part, they really do need excercise and never trust a sibe off leash unless your fenced in trust me from experience.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 AM
and Fozzie B!

Good behaviorist! Now.

http://www.apdt.com

If this dog is biting, and drawing blood, you NEED to consult a behaviorist. People on the internet cannot accurately assess what you and your dog need to do. It does sound like the behavior is related to over-stimulation/lack of training... and it would be absolutely worth the money (which isn't all the much) to get hands on, personal advice from a certified behaviorist. Of course, you should also be signing up for Obedience classes (positive reinforcement based) asap, too! Good luck, and please keep us updated.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Big Dog

I have a sibe as well, and if you haven't already I can't recommend enough you reading some sites about owning a Siberian husky. We got ours from a breed rescue and did a lot of research, but we still struggle with typical sibe traits.

There is lots of information available online about the breed, here is a link from a local siberian rescue:
http://www.huskyrescue.org/isahuskyforyou.shtml
Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Puppy Dog

thank you all for all this help....i am spreading on everything that i learn from books, internet article, and forums to my family to try to see if we can help out sky....again, he isnt neutered so he may have extra energy from that too we've been told and that at his age (1-3 yrs) and having not been neutered, hes like a teenager with too much testosterone.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

There's a Sibe forum I love, thehuskyforum.com, that you can also go to to talk several experts on the breed.

I agree with what has already been posted, especially the behaviorist option and obedience training classes. Keep in mind this is a highly intelligent, very active breed that will take a lot of patience and practice to mold him to become a more manageable dog.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach