Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Ark Lady

Consider breaking the behaviors down into small components. Often, if you go to fast with variations the dog gets confused. I tend to have people practice with left and right heels and do a backward heel all as different behaviors.

Also, you can fool around and reward the position first and then later narrow it down (approximate) to get what you want.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by arklady View Post
Consider breaking the behaviors down into small components. Often, if you go to fast with variations the dog gets confused. I tend to have people practice with left and right heels and do a backward heel all as different behaviors.

Also, you can fool around and reward the position first and then later narrow it down (approximate) to get what you want.
I very much agree with your statement about breaking down the behaviour into the smallest components possible and building upon it.

Just as you mentioned treating in position Im curious what each of you do feed in position or not?

I purposely threw the food away from me when I was intially teaching Duke to heel so If Duke wanted to continue to get clicked/ rewarded he needed to find the position over and over again as I kept moving in a large circle around the yard. Now that we've begun introducing paces of change/ quick turns I most of the time feed in position but sometimes Ill throw the occasional piece out, so that he gets plenty of practice as learning heel as both a position and a movement.

Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Kayla; 10-09-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Loves off-leash training!

I use a combination of stationary and moving when I work on heel position. I kind of mix it up a bit and throw in a lot of play in the middle to keep the dogs up and happy.

I've just started working Tazer on a formal heel position (it's about time, she's 16 months old .. *L* .. but I don't intend to trial her, so we've just done loose leash walking up to now). We did three short sessions today, twice with food (tonight her dinner) and once with the frisbee. When we first started a few days ago, I brought her into heel position by stepping back with my left foot and guiding her with my hand, turning her so she came up into heel position and then marking and rewarding when she was in proper position. In essence, she's learning a left finish. It's not the way I taught my last couple of dogs but they were not wild things like Tazer - she's the craziest dog I've ever had for training. So I figured I'd try something a bit different.

We're at the point now where I can give her the command and she literally THROWS herself back into position. It's interesting .. *L* .. if we're not moving forward, she has to move upwards. It's as if the energy has to burst out some way and up seems to be easiest for her. So she leaps up and throws her body around and lands in heel position. I mark the behavior (once she's still and quiet, which sometimes takes a bit of time) and then I either throw a treat or a toy. When she goes after it, I move so that she comes back to me at a different angle and has to find heel position again.

I get tired of training the same old way all the time so it's fun to experiment a bit, especially if I'm not too concerned with how it turns out (as far as competition goes). Tazer has it in her to be a very sparkly, animated heeling dog but I think it will take a LONG time before she's mature enough to handle it.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 10-12-2008, 06:42 AM
BusterLove

Thanks everyone.

I know what you mean about throwing themselves into position. I've taught Buster to "back up" for walks which just menas to come further back towards me. If he's over excited he jumps in the air, flinging himself backwards beside me. lol