Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Taco Dog

Bassett Hound? Great with kids.
Mini Poodle
Shih Tzu is a great choice. Wonderful with all people young and old. There are several in rescue too.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 07-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Stare at my avatar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
every Beagle I have met is a barker, stubborn, and brain is all in the nose. but I havnt met that many so I can't say for sure.
Not mine It all depends on the breeder and the owner

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 07-31-2005, 09:50 PM
orange iguanas.

I like beagles too but my mom doesn't want one, because of the baying and the "houndy" odor.

Yeah our boxer sheds quite a bit...I think it just doesn't bug her because the hair is shorter and not as...noticeable? Maybe if we got a dog with longer fur and kept it trimmed she wouldn't mind so much, the person who breeds cairns is also a groomer.

The age range of the kids varies. Right now it's 1 1/2 years old to 5 years old. We do watch them around the animals and if they start pulling on things we get them away from the dog. They're all usually down in the basement or outside all day anyway so if it did become a problem we could just put up a baby gate to block the stairs. We don't worry about it now because Molly never goes downstairs unless she is with one of us, but if it ever became a problem we could take care of it.

Thanks a LOT guys. Picking the right dog is so hard...it took us forever to find Molly, who we thought was just perfect, and we did make a pretty good decision!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-31-2005, 09:53 PM
stirder

well, in my opinion (after being a kid with one) I think there is nothing better for kids than a golden retriever. (back me up on that grammy). they do shed, and the hair shows up more since its longer, but atleast with our golden it wasnt all over the house. we brushed her I think once a day, maybe 10 minutes and she barely seemed to shed at all.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Stare at my avatar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
I like beagles too but my mom doesn't want one, because of the baying and the "houndy" odor.

Yeah our boxer sheds quite a bit...I think it just doesn't bug her because the hair is shorter and not as...noticeable? Maybe if we got a dog with longer fur and kept it trimmed she wouldn't mind so much, the person who breeds cairns is also a groomer.

The age range of the kids varies. Right now it's 1 1/2 years old to 5 years old. We do watch them around the animals and if they start pulling on things we get them away from the dog. They're all usually down in the basement or outside all day anyway so if it did become a problem we could just put up a baby gate to block the stairs. We don't worry about it now because Molly never goes downstairs unless she is with one of us, but if it ever became a problem we could take care of it.

Thanks a LOT guys. Picking the right dog is so hard...it took us forever to find Molly, who we thought was just perfect, and we did make a pretty good decision!
*sigh* Yes you probaly read everywhere about baying and houndy odor. That's not especifically true. Beagles bayed to warn a hunter how far the prey was. They'll only bay if they are irretated, disturbed or smell prey. It doesn't happen often. Belly's been with us for 3 weeks, she's only bayed once, when she was chasing a plastic bag blown in the wind. The houndy odor comes from the ears. Clean then 3 times a week and you won't have a problem. But if you really don't want a beagle, thats ok

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 07-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Big German Shepherd

I've heard the same about beagles being REAL barkers. It's one of the main reasons I didn't get one... and I was close.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:06 PM
stirder

I dont know enough about beagles to sya one way or the other, meant that comment way above this one as a question more than a comment. bigdog, I for one am glad you got a gsd. can be a challenge but OH SO WORTH IT.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:08 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
well, in my opinion (after being a kid with one) I think there is nothing better for kids than a golden retriever. (back me up on that grammy). they do shed, and the hair shows up more since its longer, but atleast with our golden it wasnt all over the house. we brushed her I think once a day, maybe 10 minutes and she barely seemed to shed at all.
I love goldens...my neighbor has one, such a sweet and goofy dog. But it has to be a small dog and goldens are a bit bigger than boxers.

I would also love a Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever...but they aren't really on the small end of the scale.

I really want a mini Aus. Shep. though...I've even found a breeder that looks pretty good! http://www.birchviewkennel.com/index.html

But it alllll boils down to what my mom wants...eh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-31-2005, 10:43 PM
stirder

of course it does, as the saying goes "if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!"
Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

If you brush a long haired dog frequently enough, you never have a problem with hair. That's something you can point out to your mom as well.