Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Deciding on a breed...

I'm trying to figure out what breed of dog I want to get in a year or two, but it's proving to be a difficult task. Okay, so maybe I'm doing this a bit early but I flip-flop a LOT with things like this.

There are so many breeds I love and totally want but my mom thinks differently. Her criteria:
"Small" breed
Short-medium length hair
"Cute"
Typically good with children

She wants a small breed because she doesn't feel our house is "big" enough for 2 "large" dogs (a boxer + whatever other breed we choose). Personally I don't think boxers are really very large dogs anyway and I definitely do not see how our house isn't large enough. Our neighbors have a lab and border collie and they're just fine...but whatever. Small to my mom I guess is no more than 30 pounds, I have showed her dogs that typically don't get bigger than that but she claims it's too big.

Hair length is obviously because of shedding. I guess I am not sure on what she considers too long, but she has made comments that she wouldn't want a golden retriever because of their hair. So, for whatever that's worth...

"Cute"....*sigh* The deal is this is going to be MY dog because I can't have any more rodents once the rats are gone, and that depresses me greatly because I LOOOOOVE my ratties. But she'll say no to a certain breed because she doesn't like it's looks. An example being Shiba Inu...I think they are gorgeous, she says no because of looks.

Good with children because my mom does daycare so little kids are here pretty much all day. Our dog now sometimes gets crawled on by babies and they sometimes play with her ears...if she starts to get annoyed by it she just gets up and walks away.

So if you've read through this all and have found a breed that beats my mom's "standards" please share.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

I really don't kow what breed to tell you. A Mini somthing breed. Australian Shepehrd, Schanzuar (sp?), Poodle, ? Look at Miniature breeds and see what u can find. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Boston Terrier, Pug, Poodle... You can go to www.dogbreedinfo.com and search all kinds of different breeds.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Thank you

I was actually thinking of the mini Australian Shepherd...I've always thought Aussies seemed like great dogs so a mini variety might be perfect. My sister actually puppysat an Aussie for a few days and she looooved her, so maybe that can help in persuading my mom...

One breed I was thinking of is Cairn Terrier...we could easily get one, we know someone who breeds them. But I don't think my mom likes them very much.

Thank you again!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Island dweller

What about this one?
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/glenimaalterrier.htm
Old 07-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

The only thing wrong with the mini aussie, based on your mom's criteria, is their beautiful long coat and shedding. But that's a silly reason not to get a dog, if you ask me. Maybe you can convince her of that! Good luck!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Stare at my avatar....

A Beagle sound perfect!

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 07-31-2005, 08:30 PM
stirder

Most terriers are high energy, and in my experience quite a few short haired breeds shed as much or more than many long haired breeds. Growing up my family had a Golden Retriever, a German Shepherd and a Jack Russel Terrier at the same time for many years. The JRT shed the most, the Golden actually shed the least of the three. Im not saying Goldens dont shed a lot, they do. Also, dont Mini Aussie Sheps have the same long coat of the regular Aussie Sheps? Not a whole lot less, maybe even more, than the typical Golden.
Also, how old are the kids in question? A lot of smaller breeds aren't always suited to smaller/younger kids. They may not like being picked up, they have high prey drive (depending on breed) and may chase little kids the same as they would a bigger kid but a younger child may react differently than an older child, and because of their small size they may not enjoy ears and tails being pulled.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:21 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

I don't think a Carin would be good. My grandma raised them a few years and then she sold them all, b/c she didn't really like them, they are pretty hyper for a small dog. But amini Aussie sounds GREAT!!! Or a Beagle is good too, those r cute little dogs I think.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:23 PM
stirder

every Beagle I have met is a barker, stubborn, and brain is all in the nose. but I havnt met that many so I can't say for sure.