Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Big Dog

Default jumping problems

My dog has a bad problem with jumping on people . She'll jump up on anyone who is friendly to her, and is really bad with people she knows and likes well. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? I would really appreciate it!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Ollie has this problem too .... but is learning !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Squishy22

Reggin is that way. Its very rude and thats why I hate it. The best thing to to is ignore him. The person who is being jumped on should turn around and avoid eye contact with him. The problem is that everyone who sees Reggin likes to give him attention even when he is jumping up, so that reinforces his behavior.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Big Dog

Comforting to know others are in the same boat! How is he learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Ollie has this problem too .... but is learning !!!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
Reggin is that way. Its very rude and thats why I hate it. The best thing to to is ignore him. The person who is being jumped on should turn around and avoid eye contact with him. The problem is that everyone who sees Reggin likes to give him attention even when he is jumping up, so that reinforces his behavior.
Yes, I feel the same way about it being rude and have the same problem with many people. I've ignored her and it's worked somewhat with cutting down her jumping on me, but I haven't been able to ask people we barely know to do the same. I usually end up pulling her back by her leash as she is jumping so she doesn't make contact with them, but it doesn't teach her not to jump the next time. She is also very persistant with her jumping, and will jump several times even when ignored. Maybe I should stage situations with friends, in order to teach her better.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog2007 View Post
Yes, I feel the same way about it being rude and have the same problem with many people. I've ignored her and it's worked somewhat with cutting down her jumping on me, but I haven't been able to ask people we barely know to do the same. I usually end up pulling her back by her leash as she is jumping so she doesn't make contact with them, but it doesn't teach her not to jump the next time. She is also very persistant with her jumping, and will jump several times even when ignored. Maybe I should stage situations with friends, in order to teach her better.
It takes time. Ignoring and turning around is not a quick fix. Sooner or later he will get the idea that jumping up gets him no attention. Attention is what he should get when he is NOT jumping. Yeah, its hard sometimes when people just love to give attention even when the dog is jumping.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Step one: Get a leash and use it. Prevent the behavior.

Step two: Teach the dog the sit command.

Step three: when the dog tries to jump up on the leash, ask the dog to sit, and reward it for doing so.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Big Dog

Thanks! She is on a leash and knows the sit command, so I will go to step three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post

Step three: when the dog tries to jump up on the leash, ask the dog to sit, and reward it for doing so.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:02 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post

this is exactly what I have been doing with Wilson (he can jump high for a short legged guy!) after 2 months of this...he is finally starting to respond to the sit command (after trying to jump)--now, he may not be a quick study! but he is getting it!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Squishy22

When there is new people in the house, there is no way in hell that Reggin will listen to the sit command as he gets more pleasure from jumping up on people than from some treat. Trust me, I've tried. But all dogs are different.