Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Big Dog

Val, my 3 month old Aussie went ballistic at the vet's office today. The vet was trying to trim his nails and he screamed bloody murder and it took two vet techs to hold him down to get his nails trimmed. The vet didn't hurt him; he just didn't want to have his nails trimmed. I wonder how I'll ever get to trim his nails? The vet said to touch is paws frequently to get him used to having his paws touched and desensitzed.

He also recommended that I use Natures Miracle on the carpeting where he continues to try to pee on it.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

I left my Dremel at my ex's last time I went to Seattle. I didn't know where I left it because he couldn't find it. So....I bought a Pedi-paws. Long story short: Found Dremel, returned Pedi-paws. That thing doesn't have enough rpms to do much, if anything. It barely worked on my Chi's nails and their's are soft. That guard makes the nails catch and and because of the low rpm, it catches, which is uncomfortable because it stops all the time. Worthless in other words.

Very important to condition them slowly to it...never use force or anger. Clickers are useful for this kind of thing.

It's exceedingly important to read these instructions thoroughly or a Dremel can be seriously dangerous.

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I left my Dremel at my ex's last time I went to Seattle. I didn't know where I left it because he couldn't find it. So....I bought a Pedi-paws. Long story short: Found Dremel, returned Pedi-paws. That thing doesn't have enough rpms to do much, if anything. It barely worked on my Chi's nails and their's are soft. That guard makes the nails catch and and because of the low rpm, it catches, which is uncomfortable because it stops all the time. Worthless in other words.

Very important to condition them slowly to it...never use force or anger. Clickers are useful for this kind of thing.

It's exceedingly important to read these instructions thoroughly or a Dremel can be seriously dangerous.

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com
I figured that the Pedi-paws must be a rip off, but of course, a sucker is born every minute, as they say.

When I get the dog settled down, I will proceed with the nail clippers I used before. I wish I'd a kept the box that the Pedi-Paws came in so's I could return it.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Big Dog

The Gaurd does come off my sil got one.
But I prefer the dremal... have the minimite it has a rechargeble battery pack.
great tool.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiencez View Post
The Gaurd does come off my sil got one.
But I prefer the dremal... have the minimite it has a rechargeble battery pack.
great tool.

I am going to need to introduce footy trimmer to my dog very, very slowly and with lots of patience and treats!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:08 AM
and Fozzie B!

I have a Pedipaws. I got it for Christmas... I also have a dremel.

I actually like it!? It's really useful, and clean. The dremel is good for longer nails (like others have mentioned), but Pedipaws works just fine to maintain. I hated nail dust getting all over me when I dremeled. Fozzie's nails are actually shorter than they've ever been, and the lower rpm makes me less nervous about their nail getting hot or getting too close to the quick. I definitely wouldn't use one on a dog over 50-ish lbs, but Fozzie has pretty thick nails. Both of my boys are unphased by it and I don't find it too vibratey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_theAussie View Post
I am going to need to introduce footy trimmer to my dog very, very slowly and with lots of patience and treats!
You definitely should. A dog who will be quiet and still for nail trimming and grooming is uber-important, and the earlier you start working with him, the easier it will be for both of you! My friend's 1 year-old is petrified of clippers... I mean, she bolts at the sight of them, and won't let anyone touch her paws. When I babysat her as a puppy, I played with her nails and clipped them with minimal effort (and some peanut butter). But, because that wasn't continued, it is now nearly impossible to do it without her shutting down/freaking. When Fozzie was a puppy, I would lay him on my lap and do one nail at a time, and give him one treat per nail. Now, he runs over and harasses me when he sees the dremel. Be calm, upbeat, go slowly, and DO NOT let him go when he squirms, only when he's behaving.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Big Dog

They are very useful to push the quicks back if you use them a little at a time. for those dogs who have long quicks. an each time you can get the nails a little shorter.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Not a lurker

I have a dremel and it has a low RPM setting...works great, even got hubby to do the dogs nails because it's a "guys toy" oh well, less work for me.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Big Dog

I have started to handle the pupster's paws and in general, make him more comfortable with not being so "touchy" while not letting him any room for Aussie "nipping". He is settling in more and we have gone back to keeping him in the kitchen for now, so we can reinforce his potty training, as he seemed to be slipping back to his old ways. He is a wonderful puppy but he needs a definitely dominant hand at the top of the order of things.