Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
From what I gathered, they are veristile as GSD but more of a companion breed than GSD/other shepherds.
They are gorgoues and i would LOOOVE some pics of them if anyone has any.
I'll have to look around; I have picture somewhere. The dog trainer I used to work for has one. I've got to say, they are very different from what I expected reading about the breed (granted, I only know two, but both were from "good" breeders).

I'd disagree with the above quote based on the two I know. I don't think they would be much as working dogs in anything. Very low drive, mellow dogs. The trainer I know picked the most toy-drivey of the litter on purpose, and he's really not. He kind of does everything in slow motion, EXCEPT when his territorial issues come out. He has had several bites. He is quite obedient in other situations, and seems like a very pleasant house dog. He also has some issues with other dogs, mostly on greeting, but he was also neutered late, so that may play in to it.

I'll try to find the pictures. I think most are in non-digital prints, but I bet I have some on the computer.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I'd disagree with the above quote based on the two I know. I don't think they would be much as working dogs in anything. Very low drive, mellow dogs. The trainer I know picked the most toy-drivey of the litter on purpose, and he's really not. He kind of does everything in slow motion, EXCEPT when his territorial issues come out. He has had several bites. He is quite obedient in other situations, and seems like a very pleasant house dog. He also has some issues with other dogs, mostly on greeting, but he was also neutered late, so that may play in to it.

I'll try to find the pictures. I think most are in non-digital prints, but I bet I have some on the computer.
I haven't heard much good when it comes to working ability for the Shiloh either. What I don't like about the Shiloh breeders is they keep saying the Shiloh is more like the "old style" GSD- large and big boned, which is not true at all. Early GSD's were not big dogs. They were bred to be quick and agile with great stamina for the work they did. A 100+lb dog would be hard pressed to spend the day herding.

You know of a dog that has had SEVERAL bites? And he's still around? Sounds like a loose cannon to me!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

I agree, shilo's sound absolutely great on paper. But my dogs don't live on paper. If you fall for they hype you'll most likely be severly disappointed. I'm sure a few make great pets, but it is an absolute disgrace that they are even compared to a GSD, they are NOT even close to the same. And if they were, we'd be comparing other dog breeds to Shilo's not the other way around. and yes,politics are abound in that little circle.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Love my pets

We thought we were buying from a reputable breeder (the breed founders themselves), only to find out they run a puppy mill. We hadn't gotten a pup yet but paid in full the $1,500. We asked for the money back and said there are no refunds. We decided not to take a pup which could be sick & have tons of medical bills, so $1,500 later we just wound up with a lesson learned.

Supposedly, there are 2 different registrations for Shiloh Shepherds. One is good and one is bad. I don't remember which is which since I want nothing to do with this breed every again. I just needed to tell you our experience.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm All Ears

Okay, I found the thread, if anyone wants it, pm me. There was a breeder there that did a FANTASTIC job answering questions regarding the breed, the purpose of the breed, it's abilities as a worker, health concerns, registries, politics, etc.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

can you just link it to this thread?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Against forum rules since it's on another forum.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Kotah BEAR

I PMed you Laur.

And thanks everyone for the info. I guess I got the wrong information online about Shilohs and GSDs.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Taxiderpy

Just wanted to echo what Dan was saying about their working ability.

My friend's SAR shepherd is not a shiloh. She is 110 lbs lean, which is huge especially for a female. And a really big hindrance when out in the field. She works well, but she gets overheated/worn out much faster than the smaller dogs when out on a search. Also, if she were to get injured my friend would have to carry out a 110 lb dog instead of a 65 lb dog. Big difference.

Anway, they were taking her out once and ran into someone with three shilohs. Oh my gosh. They were half pony or something. They made Willow look like a scrawny little runt. They were, like someone else said earlier, moving in slow motion. They really reminded me of newfs in their demeanor, size, and plodding around-ness. I don't know how close in temperament the two really are, but that was just my impression. But yeah...I can't think of anything really athletic a dog like a shiloh could do with much stamina. Maybe carting if you had one with sound joints. Definitely not a jogging/flyball/sch/SAR/bomb detection/hunting/herding prospect. But a lovely companion for someone who likes a lot of coat and size.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I agree, shilo's sound absolutely great on paper. But my dogs don't live on paper. If you fall for they hype you'll most likely be severly disappointed. I'm sure a few make great pets, but it is an absolute disgrace that they are even compared to a GSD, they are NOT even close to the same. And if they were, we'd be comparing other dog breeds to Shilo's not the other way around. and yes,politics are abound in that little circle.
. Shiloh Shepherds and GSD's cant even be compared. One's a couch potato and the other..well...isnt. It pisses me off when people use the term "old school" german shepherds. There is NO TIME in history when the GSD was bred for that size (well at least not by the people who actually cared about the working standard), but then you go out and everyone has to comment about how small your REAL GSD is and isnt a pure breed because of his sable coloring, and how they are supposed to be mellow dogs and blah blah blah it drives me INSANE. Please DO NOT compare Shiloh's or "old fashioned" driveless monsters to a REAL GSD, it gives people misconceptions about the breed and people need to understand a GSD is NOT an easy going couch potato, then NEED to work.

/rant