Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Big Dog

Default My dogs hate the new Canidae and I'm not so happy with it either!

So.... help me pick something to switch to, please. It needs to be available online (I typically have used petfooddirect) as I have medical issues that often prevent me from being able to go get big bags, so ordering is about the only option. I've been feeding Canidae for 3 years, and Wellness before that (before the formula change of that brand) so I'm a little out of the loop.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
My dogs hate the new Canidae and I'm not so happy with it either!
Welcome to the club!

We're switching our dogs that were on Canidae to Dog Lover's Gold. It's ALOT like the old Canidae formula, the dog food store around here are calling it "Canidae's replacement". And made by the same company -as the old Canidae, not the new thats made at Diamond

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Welcome to the club!

We're switching our dogs that were on Canidae to Dog Lover's Gold. It's ALOT like the old Canidae formula, the dog food store around here are calling it "Canidae's replacement". And made by the same company -as the old Canidae, not the new thats made at Diamond
Thanks. I'll look into that! I'm so glad that I didn't notice this change until after I got a 30lb bag (not)
Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Big Dog

So, some foods I'm considering are below, but my dogs have never been on grain-free food before - I'm wondering if that's an appropriate change. Anyway, would love thoughts on:

California Natural
EVO
Taste of the Wild
Eagle Holistic
Orijen
Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm All Ears

I have used both the first two and have been very pleased. EVO is a lot higher in protein so it may be a bit rich for some dogs. But it's by far the kibble I've been most pleased on. My dogs look fabulous on it.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 621mum View Post
So, some foods I'm considering are below, but my dogs have never been on grain-free food before - I'm wondering if that's an appropriate change. Anyway, would love thoughts on:

California Natural
EVO
Taste of the Wild
Eagle Holistic
Orijen
The only ones I haven't tried so far are the CN and Eagle Holistic. My dogs did well with Origen, TOTW, and EVO. We tried TOTW for about 3 months, but we could only get it online, so we went back to Canidae (about 8 months ago). Right now my 7 month old pup eats EVO and I just recently found Origen and all the dogs love it!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Out of the list you're considering, I have tried EVO and Taste of the Wild. I rotate, though I prefer the EVO. Keep in mind that you may have to try a couple to find the right food for your dogs.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for the replies. I've thought about going grain free for a while, but I just don't quite know/understand whether it is truly better or not for dogs.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Love my pets

My dogs didn't do well on EVO. My stepson uses California Natural and really likes it.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Ark Lady

It is a matter of choice whether or not your go grain free. Many dogs do well on grain free--especially those pets who have allergies. As always, gradual change is the key to changing any diet.