Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 AM
prick ear'd dogs

Default Removing a collar ring stain?

My white GSD, Max still has the red ring around he neck from a dog collar I had to cut off of him when getting him out of the pound. The dog collar was probably an inch too short for his neck size, so it was on really snug, I couldnt even get fingers through it.

Anyway, it's been about 3 weeks since he was pulled from the shelter. I've taken him to both petsmart and petco. Petsmart wanted to shave the fur around his neck and I didn't want that done, petco bathed him for me to see if it would help. The bather ended up doing it for free because she wasn't sure if it would work. He smells amazing but still has the red ring there.

Is there a shampoo I can buy (and use safely considering he's just been bathed) i'd only be using it around his neck area.

I'd also like a shampoo for white coated dogs, i know being on a proper diet will help his coat out a bit (I feed Solid Gold) im not sure what he was eating before, probably whatever the pound had donated.

Any suggestions would be great!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Twin 2.0

The proper diet will go along way and then I think just time will be your biggest thing. You could try using a mild bluing rinse with his next bath and see if that helps? Otherwise you'll just have to wait for the dye to wear out.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM
prick ear'd dogs

That's what I was afraid of zoom, thanks! It doesn't bother me so much, i was just wondering if it was possible to remove it.

His coat is in bad shape, he's not losing fur or anything just kind of bland and not as nice as my other shepherds. I think the solid gold will help and he seems to love it.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Twin 2.0

You might add in some Grizzly Salmon Body Oil on top of his food, the extra Omega's will help a lot as well. Which variety of the SG? Some of them are a bit low in protein for my tastes.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 AM
prick ear'd dogs

I feed Cain the wolf cub food and the others all get the barking at the moon flavor.

Sometimes petco will be out of barking at the moon and i'll grab wolf king instead in a 20lb and they credit it towards my free bag of batm :-D
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Twin 2.0

Right on, sounds like you're doing well!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM
prick ear'd dogs

I've only really been paying attention to dog food the past year or so when I moved out on my own and instead of feeding my dogs whatever the parents picked up actually started looking at the choices. Until then I was feeding Nutro Ultra, which i hear isnt horrible but solid gold is working out much better.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Twin 2.0

Check out www.dogfoodproject.com too, excellent site with great information!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

As for the collar ring, it will go away eventually. You may also add a raw egg every other day or so.. that helps the coat as well.

Banzai had a cheapo maroonish/red collar and he got wet in it and it bled onto his fur... he was "pink" for quite awhile, but it did go away.

As far as shampoo, I don't know that there is any specific one for white coated dogs, but most of Banzai is white and we just use earth bath. When he's wet he has this yellow tinting to fur, but when he dries, he sure looks great.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:42 PM
prick ear'd dogs

Thanks! I think they actually sell earthbath at the local petco here, so that will even be easy for me to pick up.

I currently use the shampoo made by the same company that makes the furminator, i think it's called deshedding shampoo or something like that. I really like it on the german shedders, it does seem to help a bit as long as you brush them after.

I guess just patience will get his beautiful coat color back. I had bought him a large red collar after getting him and recently changed it to a rolled leather collar, someone said that it would be easier on his fur.