Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Herd. Protect. Love.

I'm surprised he's not interested in the raw lamb bone - mine love those. They are "consumables" here meaning they eat it bone and all.

Recreational bones are the ones they don't eat most of the bone. For the most part, this is almost anything from a cow (well, steer), and bison or other large game meats.

My favorite small dog bone is incredibly cheap compared to those store bought things. And safe too. Get one of those packages of ribs at Walmart - the big slab that runs about $2 a pound now, I think. It will be about seven or eight pounds. Don't worry about that.

When you get home, get out your cutting board and a big sharp knife (sharpen it if you haven't recently, you'll thank me soon). Now, what I do is find the space between the first rib bone and the next, you'll find a soft spot right through the package. Don't open teh package yet! Just get your knife and cut right down through the plastic, turning the blade carefully to follow the curve of the bone.

Do the next and next in the same way until you have separated the package into about eight pieces. You'll actually have two rib bones per slice.

These ribs will range from eight inches long to only three inches, and will minimally replace one meal, if not two! But that's all right as long as you aren't doing it every day. Your dog will not eat the entire bone but it is soft enough to squish rather than crack under determined teeth.

Pork neck bones are easy to find this time of year and are inexpensive. Most dogs can eat the entire bone.

Raw bones are superior not just for the safety factor, but also for teeth cleaning value. Dogs need the squishy stuff as much as the grindy stuff to get their teeth well cleaned.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Puppy Dog

my grocery only ever has marrow bones, that is what I give my dogs. are these ok? I can ever find these other bones everyone talks about.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
~Lisa~

I just use marrow bones too (sold here as "soup bomes" I buy 3 in a package for 2 somthing
9depending ont he weight). works great for teeth cleaning (blaze is 5.5 years old and only has very slight build up on his teeth and they are white as ever) I probably give him about 2 a week. does wonders for teeth plus keeps them nice and busy for hours.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

I personally stay away from rib bones . I don't like bones that can be cracked and swallowed . I've seen the neck bones and have almost bought . Then I think of " What if " , I'll stick to shank bones . For small dogs , I'd think that a round bone would be OK.....depending on thickness .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Call me crazy, but can a 14lb dog actually get through a knuckle bone? The ones I have seen in stores are, at the bare minimum, the size of my fist.
My 7 pound dog loves knuckle bones. Yes, they're about twice as big as her head, and she does have to knaw on it a while before she can actually physically pick it up, but since it has so many grooves and stuff, she can definately get her mouth around it.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyveggies View Post
my grocery only ever has marrow bones, that is what I give my dogs. are these ok? I can ever find these other bones everyone talks about.
I had the same problem. We shop at Kroger for our meats normally and the only bones they ever have are "soup" bones which are marrow bones.

I had to seek out a butcher. This tiny little grocery place on my way to work actually still has a meat counter that cuts their OWN meats. They always have knuckle bones in the freezer

I would recommend you go to a small place (not a chain) and check out the meat counter............ask the person behind the counter if they have knuckle bones, if they don't, ask them where you might find them.