Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestika View Post
I definitely agree. I've found this post really helpful. Lots of great advice, and sometimes it's nice just to share your situation even if other people can't necessarily relate. But lots and lots to think about, which is super.

And Nova really has been a mixed blessing for me, too. I'm not very proud of it, but when I'm depressed I don't take very good care of myself. I can easily stay in the house for an entire day, or even days on end without ever leaving. And my sleeping habits are often horrrible. But the pup comes first and when she needs some exercise, she goes for a nice walk and gets some fresh air and...what do you know, I get some exercise too! She goes to sleep at 11pm and she's up at 8am so I am too, which is great. Sometimes I think this was a horrible time to get a puppy and other times I feel like this was definitely the right time.

But that is just it, we do understand the frustrations, the worry of making a mistake because we've been there. And NOBOBY will ever train any dog without making a mistake, it happens, great thing is it can be fixed. Dogs also can't learn with making a mistake either, just like people its how we learn.
Yes it is best to have bite inhibition under some control as early as possible BUT I have worked with many older pups and adults that had to learn it later.

Something else that will be a positive for you, I am ill which sometimes doesn't allow me to go outside or have much energy to train my dogs. But with clicker training, I can teach a bunch of behaviours and train them because the sessions are short (2-3 minutes several times a day) which I am then able to do.

Nobody here is trying to make things harder for you or make you upset.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestika View Post
I wish I knew how to quote different parts of a post. I only know how to quote one piece so I'll have to reply from memory. "GRRR".
There's a button next to the "quote" at the bottom right of the post, if you put your cursor over it it says "Multi-quote this message". I think that's how you do it.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

If your interest is doing Schutzhund or other bite work, you need to read up on how to raise a puppy for those skills. It's not the same as raising a "normal" dog by any means. It sounds like your pup is actually displaying the traits you want to accentuate, with the biting on you. At this point you don't want to be teaching her not to bite, you want to redirect her onto a proper bite outlet like a tug or rag. You should be building her drive and making her want to bite as a reward. It's totally the opposite of what most people do with puppies.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

Myself having terrible sleeping patterns, I was always grateful to have a puppy that was ready to get up whenever I was lol. Puppies/dogs in general are all perfect for motivating us to get out and get some air, where you can enjoy a zen walk with your little four legged hellion. I did the same thing as you when I was in my bout, I purposely stopped eating well and at the time was a vegetarian, so once I stopped eating alternative sources of iron on a daily basis I became anemic. There were days that the only reason I got up other than to go to school was to walk Duke. I never wanted to get up, I didnt feel like I physically had the strength and I constatntly felt hung over with pounding headaches despite not drinking, Duke made me realise that I needed to start eating better because If I wasnt around he would have noone.

You can Pm me if you want to talk on msn, in general though the people on this site are awsome for actually wanting to help you out in any way they can.

Puppy years can suck, but you can get through them and we have all made training mistakes, there was a time before clicker training that I actually believed in alpha rolling and scruff grabbing and did it to Duke, but we all learn and grow- its quite an amazing journey.

Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln