Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Question Can you train Salukis?

Hi,
I am the first time owner of a beautiful Saluki dog, whom I adore.
He's pefect in every way except one, He doesn't return on command.
I have researched into the breed and all of my sources have stated that you cannot train Salukis.
I refuse to beleive this as he is trained in every aspect apart from the failure to return.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I could retreive my dog short of rugby tackling him to the ground?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:43 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Your sources shouldn't say that youcannot train Salukis. Some dogs are harder to train than others, some dogs may be stuborn or easily distracted... If I'm not mistaken Salukis are sight hounds, and these can be hard to train to have a reliable recall. Try simple retraining inside the house, and then outside in a small fenced in area. When he does come, praise him like you've never praised him before with treats, petting ect! If you try to train your heart out and he still doesn't come back than it may be neccisary to keep him on a leash or in a fenced in are at all times. He wouldn't be the only dog that this has to be done with - let us know how it turns out.
HTH
Old 01-31-2004, 10:14 PM
Felurian

I think Brattina's got the right idea. I understand that you and Caspian are going to start some training for shows very soon. Maybe your instructor can give you some insight. I've heard it can be difficult to get a sight hound to return immediately, but if it were impossible, they couldn't have been successful hunting companions for thousands of years, could they? Caspian's young, so he may need more time to expend all that tremendous energy. Some people have laughed at something I tend to do with my animals (even cats) when they've seen me do it, then had to stop laughing when they've seen the results. Sometimes I just get eye to eye with them and explain what I want and why it is important. I don't get fancy, I use a low, calm voice and make them look at me. I don't know exactly why it works, but it does. I may have to repeat it periodically, but it's not a big trauma to do it. Every once in awhile I have to remind Bimmer that he must come immediately when I whistle; that I have a reason for calling him back even if he's off hunting. I know it saved his life one night when he was after three coyotes behind the house. It's worth a few tries. It can't hurt and it's free! Just be ready for some people to look at you like you should be locked up!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:24 AM
Show Dog

Why not? They're not different!....Or are they? My dog doesn't really listen to my family but that doesnt mean his breed cant be trained!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Puppy Dog

Thank you for your replies, I will attempt some of them with him, But I have tried all sorts of treats to tempt him with and I am reluctant to have him permanently restrained and a lead, as he needs an excess amount of excercise and needs to be able to run free.
At the moment I am retreiving him by sending my Border Collie to herd him back to me.
I should note that when there are no other dogs about he is a lot better at returning although still reluctant.
Thank you once again for your interest and suggestions
Old 02-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Felurian

I LOVE the Border Collie idea! It's wonderful. Caspian gets his run, and your Border gets to work. All too often Border Collies don't get the chance and it's so sad. They love to work so very much.

Caspian's still young, and as long as you are consistent he'll get better and better about returning quickly as he grows up and becomes more mature. I'm impressed that the Border Collie is so quick! I knew they were fast, but that's amazing! Do you participate in agility events with him? Or her? What's the name?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Puppy Dog

His name is Merlyn and we were hoping to enroll him in agility very soon but he's still a tad too young (only 8 months).
He issn't any where near as fast as Caspian but he tries and sometimes manages to cut him off and drive him back to me, and if that fails he gets Caspian to chase him and leads him back to me.
He really is a cleaver lil pup.
I'm hoping to have some photos of him on the site soon.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Felurian

It will be fun for you to see if Caspian will follow Merlyn through his agility practices! I'd love to see a Saluki or one of the other large sight hounds running agility. Can you imagine an Irish Wolfhound on the course? Or even a Borzoi? It would have a hard time in the tunnel, though. Keep us posted and keep your camera handy! I hope you have a videocamera. Your pups will be making memories you'll want to watch over and over. I'm sitting here laughing to myself thinking about a dog like Caspian whizzing through all the obstacles - kind of a mental Roadrunner type cartoon going on in my head! Truly a demented daydream!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Puppy Dog

I doubt that that will ever happen. You see while he is quite happy to obey a command such as sit to receive a treat, or even to run around a field in circles.
I cannot see him ever being motivated to jump through hoops on command.
Although It would be lovely if he did.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Felurian

I can understand Caspian's reluctance. Dogs do have their own ideas of what is sensible and what isn't, don't they? My big Akita/Shepherd, Bear, had a very common sense reaction when I tried to get him to play fetch; he was perfectly happy to go get something and bring it to me, but if I threw it and told him to get it, he'd just stand there and look at me and it was as plain as day that he thought "well, if you wanted it, why'd you throw it away?"

You never know though, Caspian might decide to do it after he sees Merlyn getting attention and praise! Some dogs can't stand to be one-upped.

By the way, how is Caspian's show training going?