Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Top Dog

Great response. I have been re-reading 'Culture Clash' by Jean Donaldson. The part about tug a war & how wonderful it is for rewarding dogs for getting their training right.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Ark Lady

LMAO good strategy.

Thinking about all those people I'd just like to give a raspberry to...I spend more time writing these days rather than dealing with those types.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:25 AM
and Fozzie B!

LMAO! Nice job handling your neighbor... wow... if only he knew how stupid he sounds. ; )

My friend always complains about her neighbor, giving her highly well-informed puppy tips. When we told him she was taking Sadie to 4 Paws (one of the most noted Obedience schools out there, and where I take my boys, of course) he told us that Petsmart was "the best" place to go. He also throws her sticks from his balcony - and encourages her to chew on them! Because, sticks are a healthy part of any puppy's diet. He also did the tug-o-war and dominance spiel. It's annoying, yet hilarious, when random people butt in and decide their new job is giving bad advice to new puppy owners... but it's also scary, for new puppy owners who don't know any better and actually listen to such nonsense.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Pound Puppy

Cripes there are a lot of people running their mouths with bad advice out there! But your comeback was priceless! I'm going to remember that one!

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
He also throws her sticks from his balcony - and encourages her to chew on them! Because, sticks are a healthy part of any puppy's diet.
LOL I guess its all of the yummy fiber that sticks provide, maybe thats why dogs like to chew them so much, gotta keep regular.

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Canine Activist

people should be telling others what is right for their dog. dogs aren't all the same, even within a breed. a lot of trainers have the same attitude, that really pisses me off. You sound like you are raising a good little westie there....and there is nothing wrong with spoiling your dog with healthy treats. we all need treats in our lives...lol
Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I like your response... I wish I could have seen his face!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all your replies folks! These boards really renew my faith that not everyone is a dog-idiot.

My neighbor is generally a nice enough guy ... he means well, I guess ... which is why I just ignored most of what he said. Didn't wanna bother actively engaging him in arguments ... as those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. But couldn't resist zinging him at the end.

When we still had Cheyenne the Wonder Dog ... he would often tell us how he would love to have a "Golden Lab just like her". It didn't matter how many times we told him she was a Golden Retriever ... he still referred to her as "that great Golden Lab". :::sigh:::

He's an older guy, late 50ish or early 60ish ... and doesn't have any dogs, though he says he "had them as a boy". His wife is decidedly not a "dog person" ... afraid of all big dogs and doesn't want a little dog either, so they only have cats. He says he would like to have a dog, but I doubt they ever will because of how his wife feels.

I shudder to think what would happen if they ever did get a dog with a gentle temperment like Cheyenne's! His brand of "training" would have turned her into a cowering mess of submissive urination! I have often thought to myself that if he ever convinces his wife to get a dog, I may just volunteer to train it myself, gratis, just so he doesn't ruin the poor thing!