Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Default WHY do people believe this stuff?

So OK ... I'm out on our driveway this past weekend with our 13 week old Westie. (Yeah, we went from a Golden and a wolfdog to a Westie ... my guy has always admired this particular breed of terrier) The puppy is pretty solid with housebreaking and absolutely solid with obedience commands indoors including with indoor distractions. So now I want to reinforce obedience while there's outside distractions. So far he's doing pretty well.

After about an hour a neighbor wanders over, says he's been sitting on his porch and saw us. So he says "I noticed you sometimes give him treats" ... I just say "Yup." He replies "That makes dogs snappy." :::sigh::: So I tell him that no, it's positive reinforcement, just like praise or a game of tug. Then he tells me "Ohhh, tug-of-WAR turns puppies into biters as dogs" He made a point of emphasizing the word "war" :::sigh::: I didn't reply.

He asks what kind of dog, I say "West Highland Terrier". He then goes on for a long while talking about how all terriers are dominant and how I gotta be a stronger "alpha" and all small dogs are snappy so it's a good thing my stepson is a little bit older now. I'm not replying to any of this but figure it's a good distraction test for the puppy. Puppy does OK, but not nearly as well as before the neighbor wandered over ... guess we need to work on distraction resistance a little more.

Neighbor's still going on when I hear him say that my treat and play reinforcements means that the puppy is "only following orders for food and playtime ... he just wants the instant gratification". :::sigh::: Finally I tell the guy that maybe he's right ... and he smiles ... until I told him that with all these rewards for good behavior I could very well be ruining my puppy's chances to get into a good college some day. Neighbor is silent for a few seconds, then says he's gotta be heading back home to do some yard work.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
mostly ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenRetriever View Post
Finally I tell the guy that maybe he's right ... and he smiles ... until I told him that with all these rewards for good behavior I could very well be ruining my puppy's chances to get into a good college some day. Neighbor is silent for a few seconds, then says he's gotta be heading back home to do some yard work.
*snort*
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Well don't ya know that you HAVE to treat dogs like wolfes, I mean if not all of that time they spend plotting against us to overthrow us as leader might actually succeed and then imagine having to wake up every morning and asking your dog for breakfast and your car keys to get to work, that would be soooo embarrising. LOL

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Taxiderpy

You'll have to call him over for a demonstration once your westie perfects the hot dog retrieve.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

It sounds like your terrier is a good judge of character at such a wee age.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

OMG I really need you to come and live with me. I need someone with good retorts and the ability to patiently "wait" through the bullsh*t to get the REALLY juicy, stupid stuff that people believe about dogs.

I so wish I could have had a lawn chair and popcorn with that one. It would've been CLASSIC.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

OMG when will it end????????????? But your response is a riot, love it. Nothing like zinging someone, making them shut and leave (makes my day/week/month depending on the person )
Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 PM
FurryBear

Lol! I've never met that kind. I usually meet the "my dog loves kibbles and bits and even though he is 50 pounds he doesn't need to go on walks, he plays in the backyard!" kind. Or the ones that load their dogs full of treats and can't imagine how they are fat.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
orange iguanas.

Ah, I love people.

Can't say I've met someone who disagrees with food rewards. Love your response though lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Top Dog

NICE! I don't know how you put up with people like that.

Maybe after your dog had dominated and taken ove the household, he'll go after the nieghbor next.