Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Active Pup

Default my dog wont stop barking

My dog is 12 years old. He has always barked a lot when we brought in the other dog and not him or something but we ignored it because it wouldn't be for very long. Now she is dead and he barks constantly unless we bring him inside or go outside and pay a ton of attention to him.
I can not bring him inside all teh time I go away to college and mom and dad can't either.
I have tried ignoring him when he barks and praising him when hes good. Even a shock collar but it doesn't work either he keeps on barking even right after it shocks him. I spent 10 hours with him once inside then put him outside just to go pee and within 2 minutes he was back at the door barking and didn't even go pee yet.
My mother says she is afraid someone might hurt him because of how loud he is being and we can't bring him inside so what do we do?
How do I make him stop barking?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

Why can't he live inside?

What do you have out there for him to do? Outside can be VERY boring, some dogs won't play with toys by themselves so consider a treat filled toy that will keep him occupied. what exercise does he get? What kind of dog is he? If he is full of energy but is not getting enough exercise it could contribute to the large amount of barking.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Active Pup

he is a pomeranian. he cant live inside because it affects my moms lungs. we have toys and everything but he usually jsut lays around anyways even inside or outside
Old 09-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Dogs, especially companion dogs like poms, CRAVE to be near people or other dogs.... THey're very social, and poms in particular were bred to be nothing more than a companion and be around people all the time. Shock collars don't work because they don't address the root of the problem - he's lonely and bored and probably a bit scared.

I don't understand how you can bring him in the house for 10 hours, without that affecting your mom's lungs? Is there a way that you could keep him inside, and have him sleep in your bedroom or somewhere away from your mom, but then out in the rest of the house as long as your mom can handle it?

Otherwise, your other options are basically, get him another friend (although when he dies, you're back to your original problem with the new dog), or rehome him somewhere where he can live in the house like he needs.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

You may not want to hear it, but he needs a new home. The barking is because he's lonely and bored and wants the attention. If he can't live inside with you, and you can't have someone exercise him quite a bit more than it sounds like he's getting now, then he needs a new home. The barking is going to continue and probably get worse.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Active Pup

I am gone to college most days of the week only back on some weekends. SO even if he could com inside it wouldn't help because I am not here only my parents nad mom can not take it.
Is there another way to make him stop while im gone? Our other pom never did this.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Active Pup

ALso I'd never give him a new home. 1 I have raised him I ownedh is parents even. 2 he hates others he growls at them and everything. Plus I love him too much to ever get rid of him.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl1988 View Post
Is there another way to make him stop while im gone?
You could have him go to doggy day care every day. Or to a friend's house during the week and then back home with you on the weekend.

Again, he's barking cause he's lonely. He will continue to bark until that emotional need is met, no matter what kind of training techniques you use.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Agree with all above . This is no life for a Pom . If you love him as much as you say , you would see to it that he has a better life .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

I agree with everyone else. It's a dog that was bred to be nothing but the best friend to its people and it's stuck outside all day with no interaction. Of course he's going to bark! I really don't know what to suggest if there isn't a way to give this dog the interaction it NEEDS...