Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Water Junkie

Default Raw and Food?

We are having trouble getting high quality food for 4 dogs. Okay maybe not "having trouble" but more like my parents keep saying "We go through dog food TOO fast and it's pricey!"

So I'm wondering, if I switched to something like a Costco's Kirkland or Sam's Exceed and rotated with doing raw, would this still be healthy like feeding a good quality food?

(BTW, i'm pretty sure my parents would never switch to a low quality food. I'm just tired if fighting with them )

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-10-2008, 10:50 PM
just call me Nilly

How often would you be doing raw? Approximately of course.

Kirkland, though not top quality, is not a terrible food. I wouldn't see a problem feeding that with a few raw meals a week

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Bored Now.

*noms Nilly*

I feed Kirkland.. the way I think about it is, while it's not the best.. it's about the grade of food I feed myself - not the absolute best, but not bad either. Besides, he does so amazingly well on it - it's a food he can KEEP weight on (it's so hard, unless I feed 3-4cups+ a day), his coat is shiny as ever, he smells delicious.. I'm very happy with it. So is he, he hasn't gotten bored of the taste yet, either. It's like miracle food or something.

I mix it with a bit of orijen, so about 75% Kirkland.... he does extremely well on that.

I say, try it. Or try mixing it with other foods - even that will bring your food costs way down. But with four dogs.. not to be mean, but what on earth were your parents expecting when you and your brother got puppies? Magically refilling food bins? That's part of the reason I didn't keep Morrigan, and haven't adopted a Greyhound.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Walks into Mordor

I don't see the problem with feeding Kirkland by itself, actually. I would do it if it were available in my area. It's a good-quality food. Not top of the line, but still quite healthy. Probably one of the the only good AND inexpensive foods out there.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

Sam's Exceed is no where near the same quality as Kirkland. Exceed is the same as wal-mart's Maximum Nutrition.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 AM
<--------Orson

Liz, I have seen/read where people do Raw and kibble. You just don't mix them together (of course I know that YOU know this) because of digestion rates and all that.

But one meal raw and another meal kibble is completely acceptable and fine as long as your dog does well on it. I don't think I would rotate on a daily (as in today is raw and tomorrow is kibble) or weekly basis as it might be difficult to get your dog accustomed......but I can't say that for sure as I have no experience to offer.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 AM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
*noms Nilly*
Tee hee, I'm getting my own noms now. Me likes

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Water Junkie

Thanks!

Nolu, thats a good idea! Mixing the foods.

It just seems like a 33lb bag only last 2 weeks!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Liz, I have seen/read where people do Raw and kibble. You just don't mix them together (of course I know that YOU know this) because of digestion rates and all that.

But one meal raw and another meal kibble is completely acceptable and fine as long as your dog does well on it. I don't think I would rotate on a daily (as in today is raw and tomorrow is kibble) or weekly basis as it might be difficult to get your dog accustomed......but I can't say that for sure as I have no experience to offer.
I do alternate much like you describe, and haven't had any issues. Meg's got a pretty easy stomach, granted, but she has no problem having raw for breakfast and kibble for dinner, or eating a couple days of only raw in the middle of a week or two of kibble.

I've also seen a lot of sites "debunk" the kibble and raw mixed theory, but haven't tried it myself. I have no idea if it is true or not, just that a lot of people think it isn't a problem. Maybe one of the more experienced raw feeders knows?

Old 10-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Crazy Dog!

^^^ Not claiming to be an *experienced* raw feeder here, but honestly, how does it make any sense that raw digests faster or slower than kibble? No one tells you not to eat sushi and cooked salmon at one time because it digests differently.

I heard that when I first started feeding raw. My dogs were getting sick on raw and I was told my problem was "I was feeding kibble as well." Well, my dogs were throwing up all the raw, I didn't want them going hungry, not with the amount of exercise they get. So I was feeding kibble for dinner if they werent able to hold the raw down. Lots of people mix ground beef with kibble to get finicky or underweight dogs to eat. Ever heard of satin balls? Most people mix it with the kibble, its mostly raw meat.

I just don;t buy in to the whole "They are digested at different rates so never feed raw and kibble together." Until someone shows me scientific proof of course