Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I guess that's why my dogs aren't in obedience trials! LOL... I still think neither one would do it...

maybe if they were in a quiet room all alone.... maybe!

well... ok, I have to be nice. Bailey would do it if he knew he was getting food. Keeda only cares about two things. 1.chasing things 2.being next to me.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Back on topic though!

Romy how hard was the greeting a stranger? Where they really strick about the dog moving? And what about the introduction to other dogs? Where they allowed to sniff or did they have to totally not care?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

When we did it ... you walked with dog on left ...the dog sat while you stopped to talk to person with their do and then walked on . The Obedience stay when you leave the room is a whole different thing . Mine usually lay down and waited ... only always rolled over on his back . No fault as long as he didn't leave the spot . I was at one trial when one dog left the spot , went around the ring visitng and then went back to his spot . The owner was so pleased to see him there ! Then she found out what happened .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Taxiderpy

With the other dog they weren't allowed to make contact or be straining at the leash. I sat Strider next to me, he was interested, looking at the other dog and sniffing the air, but they kept about 3 feet of distance between their faces. That was acceptable to the tester.

Greeting a stranger was easy for Strider. I asked him to sit, and he dusted the floor with his tail while he got petted. For dogs that might get a little wiggly or excited (like Strider when "OMG someone is going to PET me!!!") I find that if their butts are on the floor it really limits how reactive they can get.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
<----Thanks Allie

ok... those are the two things that I'm really worried about. I'm giving myself a lot of time to work on them with her(mainly the DR tendencies), but still...
Old 09-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

Just a little bit OT but I use to take one of my horses to Senior/Nursing Homes. Of course I just had him out on the lawn beside a patio. He was a huge hit.
We also use to have a home for mentally challenged people come out to the farm once a month. Most of the people were in wheel chairs. My gelding Dex was always awesome, he would stand there greeting everyone, politely taking treats and giving kisses lol. The people had a great day, barn cats on their laps and one big ol gelding that loved all that attention. (not that he was starved for it in the first place lol).
And he was never frazzled if one of the people got very vocal or screaming in some cases, he just took it in stride as was his way.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Couch Pototoe City

My dogs were unflapable .. but only thing that worried me was a sudden loud noise or as I stated leaving with a stranger.. Zubin, Galina, and Jazzy passed easily.. Jazzy was the one I was concerned about as a she got excited and quickly but she passed.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Show Dog

I'm working with Pedro to pass his TDI currently. It'll be a long road, as he just LOOOOVES people so much he can't stand sitting still until they get to him. Same for other dogs. He's young and still learning, but we'll get there one day.

Some things I'm doing now, under guidance of my mom who has 3 TDI dogs and is getting ready to test 4 and 5. Pedro and I tag along with her to the assisted living facility where she works. We got the ok from the director and I am picky about who we visit with at this point. He's been making short visits since he was 12 weeks old. Walkers, canes, o2 tanks, wheelchairs and weird moving people don't fluster him at all since he's so used to them. It really is the biggest challenge in all of this I think. If you've got an assisted living facility, and you trust your dog in public in general, you might ask if they'd mind a visit. You don't *have* to be TDI or Delta certified to visit if the facility ok's it. (ETA: TDI insures you as part of your dues to them. If you aren't certified, you're on your own if the dog bites or hurts someone.)

Also, if you've got friends or family in a nursing home/assisted living facility/long term care situation, ask the supervisors if you can bring your dog to visit that specific person. This often works out easier than just randomly picking people to visit. When my dad was in the hospital we took Pedro and one of my mom's dogs to visit with him. The hospital didn't mind a bit as long as we were only visiting my dad. They did ask if he was current on shots/worming and I offered to bring vet records which they declined.

Be prepared if you go visiting to get a wide range of reactions. LOTS of folks think it is absurd that dogs are in a medical facility and are quite vocal about it. Some people are scared, some people think they are too "good" to pat the dogs, and the most fun ones are the ones who light up like a Christmas tree at the sight of the dog. People do get very attached to your dog as well. More than once Mom has had dogs invited to visitations and funerals. Seeing the power a dog has to give comfort in those situations is beyond amazing.

One last thought and my novel is done See if you can find a mentor/partner and tag along sometime. Leave your dog home and just watch that dog work. Really feel it out to see if *you* will be comfortable with sick/hurting/frail/developmentally disabled people in a facility environment. It can be overwhelming at times. I prefer the old but not bed bound people and the developmentally disabled adults. That is where *I* am most comfortable. I felt bad about this for a while, thinking I should be ok with anyone. I'm not, and I have to know my own limitations. Forcing myself, and being uncomfortable, was doing Pedro a disservice. He couldn't focus when I wasn't at ease.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Top Dog

By the time a dog is two , all dogs should be able to pass a CGC....then be ready for the TDI .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 AM
<----Thanks Allie

gena, thanks for the advice! my mom was a single working mother(nurse) so I pretty much grew up in hospitals and nursing homes. I even helped her in private homes when she got those jobs... so I know for me that's not a problem at all. But I will definatly see if I can shadow someone... I hadn't even thought of that!