Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Question TDI Dogs

Does anyone on here have a TDI dog or something similar? I have decided that I want to get a puppy as my first "conformation" dog, and so looking at breeder's websites... It looks like I will be waiting somewhere around a yr for a show quality puppy from a good breeder. In the mean time I thought it would be fun to teach keeda tricks. Then I had the idea that if I was going to teach her tricks, I might as well do something useful with them. So, I'm setting a goal, that this time next year I want Keeda to take the TDI test. I think she would love to be a TDI dog! I was just wondering if anyone can give me any insight? I know they take a test similiar to the AKC CGC, and I emailed an evaluator in my area to find out if there are any classes in the area they recommend.

I just thought of this second question this morning, and whatever the answer is I still want her to become a TDI dog, but since it's all volunteer, do you think the hours I spend with her in hospitals and such will count as volunteer hours for school(need them when I apply for medschool... or grad if I go that way)?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Couch Pototoe City

Zubin is a therapy dog. He is not listed as a TDI because that is a registry that leaves your information on a roster. However- the test is the same.
He and Galina were invited to take the test by the hospital. Both went through with flying colors.
He works with kids with cancer and I will say its very touching. Makes a huge difference with the kids, they love it, and he enjoys it as well. Only negative thing about it is that kids have learned that Zubin likes jello and the day he is coming, they all order it.. lol.
Zubin has a special gift. I am not sure what he is sensing but he can pick up when a child is not doing well- regardless of what the doctors say. We have had kids that he lays his in their laps, almost not wanting to leave when the doctor said " the child was in remission"- and things uh happen. To Children that the doctors say are getting worse and Zubin is more himself- and later we find out the child suddenly was improving. How Zubin can tell, I have no idea. Its not the odor of cancer as all the kids have cancer- so maybe its feeling a " life force" or something ( grasps at straws..)
Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I've had three . Very rewarding !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I would think that your hours with a Therapy dog would absolutely count as volunteer work.

I say go for it!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
<----Thanks Allie

yeah, I've already decided that I am going to do it. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about their expierences getting their dogs to become therapy dogs. I know it's going to be a little bit harder for Keeda because she's kinda DR and I haven't really worked with her with that bc... well... I don't really take her around a lot of dogs that she can't say hi too unless it's the vet, so it's never been much of an issue. And she's not DR in an aggressive way, she just gets very excited and wines when she's not allowed to say "hi" to the other dog. As soon as she can she doesn't care... but part of the test is to ignore other dogs... And then I was wondering what everyone thought about the hours counting as volunteer hours for school.... I don't see why they wouldn't...
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Definately would count !

Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Couch Pototoe City

They have to accept other dogs and the test starts at the door. In the last test I took, a person dropped a walker in the lobby as we came in to start. Remember- they are looking for unpredictability. We also had several hyper dogs there as well. Its normal for a sighthound to ignore hyper activity. The hardest part was actually being with a stranger and I had to leave the room. It was natural for my dogs to want to follow me. With sighthounds a sit is not required but they had stand quietly. I was happy they did. I suspected as such but nice to see they would.
I have found it very rewarding.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Actually, what I think they are looking for is a stable friendly dog who is trained and under control.

The test I took was at a training center, and conducted in a ring, so there was no door really.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

My wife keeps saying she wants to do this with Daisy. She'd pass the test right now, all it would take is for my wife to get off her butt and go do it!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

At least they let someone hold the dog today . Back when , then had you tie your dog to something and leave the room . My female hated to be tied , and would either chew through a lead or drag . She was tied to a table leg , so I expected her to pull and drag . She didn't ...whew !